Buying a used, large-ish tank

mphammer

Market
Reaction score
I am curious what I need to look for when evaluating the condition of a used tank and seams. I have my eyes on a 210 gallon and I am trying to decide if I will need to reseal and how structurally sound the tank will be after a DIY sealing. Can anybody give some input on the pics below. Also curious about the label pictured and who made the tank. Thanks!

IMG_6645.JPEG

IMG_6647.JPEG

IMG_6648.JPEG

IMG_6650.JPEG

IMG_6642.JPEG

I have an AGA 180. If I remember correctly, it had a sticker similar to that. As for the seams, from what I can see in the pics, it appears to be an older tank with wear from cleaning. How long has it been empty?

I have an AGA 180, if I remember correctly, it had a sticker like that. As for the seams, from what I can see in the pics, it appears to be an older tank with wear from cleaning. How long has it been empty?
I'd also piggy back and ask how was it stored?

I have an AGA 180. If I remember correctly, it had a sticker similar to that. As for the seams, from what I can see in the pics, it appears to be an older tank with wear from cleaning. How long has it been empty?
I think you are right in it being older. The current owner says he has had it in his garage for a year. He saw it in action a year and a half ago, bought it and never followed up on setting it up. He did not know how long it had been up and running before.

I'd also piggy back and ask how was it stored?
I am a little worried that it has been in the garage, subjected to temperature fluctuations. Is that a pretty big deal?

I think you are right in it being older. The current owner says he has had it in his garage for a year. He saw it in action a year and a half ago, bought it and never followed up on setting it up. He did not know how long it had been up and running before.

I am a little worried that it has been in the garage, subjected to temperature fluctuations. Is that a pretty big deal?
Fluctuations in temp have been known to degrade silicone overtime. You could easily reseal the inside of the tank. I've done it to two tanks in the past year with no worries. But the thing you would want to take in consideration is how do the seems look between the glass?

Fluctuations in temp have been known to degrade silicone overtime. You could easily reseal the inside of the tank. I've done it to two tanks in the past year with no worries. But the thing you would want to take in consideration is how do the seems look between the glass?

Looking from the outside in, all 4 edges looked like this-
81f452b24c66afb3104c1f2776fdcdc3.jpg

I’m not really sure what to be looking for. Did not see any air bubbles or air pockets whatsoever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking from the outside in, all 4 edges looked like this-
81f452b24c66afb3104c1f2776fdcdc3.jpg

I’m not really sure what to be looking for. Did not see any air bubbles or air pockets whatsoever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a good sign of not seeing any air pockets or bubbles. But it really boils down to if you trust it or not. You could always get it and let it sit with water for a few days.

If you question it I would reseal it . I just resealed a 220 I got from a member that leaked, wasn't too hard the time consuming part is cleaning all the old sealant off.i usually do my leak test in the garage it it leaks its easier to clean. Jmo

What you're looking for in a seal is whether the silicone has pulled away from the glass. Yes those seams are not perfectly straight anymore but they look to still be good. You'll be able to more clearly tell once you add water to leak test it.

Back