Buying Fish/Corals Online

DavidinGA;977536 wrote: Who is cornbred???

Cornbred-Corals

DavidinGA;977594 wrote: I don't get it... What's the appeal of cornbred corals when he wants $50 just for shipping?!

Most online vendors are going to charge shipping in that neighborhood. Thats why you buy 10+ frags at a time and pay the same shipping. Have three deliveries coming in today... Going to start a thread kind of documenting all this soon. :)

That's how much Fedex priority is. It's easy to order over $250, though. With him it generally only takes two or three pieces.

Many vendors will also cover the shipping if you spend a certain amount

In fact, look what i just got!
he5u7yve.jpg
alt="" />

tonymission;977596 wrote: Most online vendors are going to charge shipping in that neighborhood. Thats why you buy 10+ frags at a time and pay the same shipping. Have three deliveries coming in today... Going to start a thread kind of documenting all this soon. :)
Ya but a lot of sites are a lot cheaper and you don't have to spend $250 to get free shipping!

Harrys frags gives you free shipping if you buy ANY 5 frags and his stuff is CHEAP.

DavidinGA;977608 wrote: Ya but a lot of sites are a lot cheaper and you don't have to spend $250 to get free shipping!

Harrys frags gives you free shipping if you buy ANY 5 frags and his stuff is CHEAP.

Sure but I don't want Harry's frags! Haha
UPS is also cheaper and has been WAY late to me before and in questionable condition. Not sure if that's what he uses but most of the cheaper shipping folks do.

Online ordering would make it much more feasible if we did a club order and everyone split the shipping cost. I'm surprised I haven't seen this group do that. Any reasons why? I'd love to purchase some online pieces but cannot justify the shipping in most cases.

Delta Dash is the best, but you pay the price and have to go to the airport. I used to work in the shipping department at the company i work for, and fedex is 1000% better than UPS. I also used to breed reptiles, and I would never ship anything live through UPS. I had my UPS guy show up and toss me a box from several feet away that was clearly marked with what it contained (a $700 python).

Sn4k33y3z;977612 wrote: Online ordering would make it much more feasible if we did a club order and everyone split the shipping cost. I'm surprised I haven't seen this group do that. Any reasons why? I'd love to purchase some online pieces but cannot justify the shipping in most cases.

This does happen frequently, but it is usually kept between a couple of members. I am sure the BOD would be reluctant to sponsor a group buy for fish or corals on account of the inherent risk in shipping live animals. If something dies, who would be held accountable/If a participant is late showing up for pick-up, who is responsible for there stuff?

tonymission;977611 wrote: Sure but I don't want Harry's frags! Haha
UPS is also cheaper and has been WAY late to me before and in questionable condition. Not sure if that's what he uses but most of the cheaper shipping folks do.

Point is other companies "could" offer the same kind of shipping deal as Harrys....

DavidinGA;977624 wrote: Point is other companies "could" offer the same kind of shipping deal as Harrys....

I guess what I was saying is that many do and almost all of them use UPS.

Only time I've ever paid for shipping was when I couldnt resist just getting two frags that I couldn't find elsewhere. Even at $50 for an sps frag (which is pretty cheap really), 5 of those frags is $250. Doesn't take much to get free shipping.

Also most online vendors will heavily discount if you're buying a pack. I don't want to put specifics out in a public forum but retail listed price of my recent Battlecorals purchase was well over $1000 and I didn't pay anywhere close to that. But you won't get a deal if you don't ask. I've never had a vendor turn down working with me on pricing.

Back