Ca and mg

saltwaterwannabe

Market
Reaction score
I was given a bag of ca and a bag of mg powder when I bought my 90 gal bowfront. I am currently using IO salt which I have read results in around 325 and 1215 ppm respectively. I can calculate titrations, but I do not know what strength the ca and mg is....I do not yet have a ca or mg test kit but the coral thus far appears healthy and growing. I am trying to see if it will grow faster. How much ca and mg should I add to bring the IO up to 420 and 1280? Or a different param if recomended?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Start here
a>

Please do not add Mg or Ca until you get a test kit to measure your tank water. Salt mixes are notorious for containing inconsistent ratios of elements from bucket to bucket. Add to that, the variable consumption of these components by your tank inhabitants and you really have no way of knowing where your Mg and Ca are at any moment.

I recently mixed up 400 gallons of IO and Reef Crystals and the Mg was very low (like 600 ppm) in the resulting salt water.

Also, post specifics on your "Mg powder". Brand, description, etc. To maintain the natural ionic balance of Sodium and Choride in your sea water, you should be adding a ratio of Mg Sulfate (epsom salt) and Mg Chloride. Some magnesium additives are only one of these. The ratio to add varies based on your method of adding calcium. Various calcium addition methods have an impact on Sulphate and Choride ions as well so the ratio you add Mg ions can be used to correct the imbalance.

civics14;1083437 wrote: I would say a very important rule for dosing anything is that if you can't test for it, don't dose it

Very true!

Testers purchased and looking forward to using them soon. I have no idea what type of ca and mg they are. I was told to add 1 tbsp to my 90 each week. Since I have not put coral in the 90 yet, I still have the powder. I plan to mix up a small batch and test it when I get the test kit. I can calc the ratios from there

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

civics14;1083437 wrote: I would say a very important rule for dosing anything is that if you can't test for it, don't dose it
That is what I figured, and makes a lot of sense

SaltWaterWannabe;1083440 wrote: Testers purchased and looking forward to using them soon. I have no idea what type of ca and mg they are. I was told to add 1 tbsp to my 90 each week. Since I have not put coral in the 90 yet, I still have the powder. I plan to mix up a small batch and test it when I get the test kit. I can calc the ratios from there

That's not 1tbsp of calc/mag powder directly to the tank is it?

Also, depending how demanding your tank is, you may be able to get away with just kalkwasser dripped into the tank.

civics14;1083453 wrote: That's not 1tbsp of calc/mag powder directly to the tank is it?

Also, depending how demanding your tank is, you may be able to get away with just kalkwasser dripped into the tank.
He said to mix it with my rodi water firing water changes. I have not dosed as of yet and am waiting for the testers. I just realized a mome t ago that if dosing, I will also need a ph test, so I am ordering a hanna test probe style ph meter as well

SaltWaterWannabe;1083466 wrote: He said to mix it with my rodi water firing water changes. I have not dosed as of yet and am waiting for the testers. I just realized a mome t ago that if dosing, I will also need a ph test, so I am ordering a hanna test probe style ph meter as well

who is he? also, do you know the manufacturer of the product? I would do some research on the product before using them. furthermore, if you don't have a lot of corals, water change is all you need.

I have changed phones so I do not have his contact info. I do remember where he lives, but I cannot envision dropping by unexpected

SaltWaterWannabe;1083501 wrote: I have changed phones so I do not have his contact info. I do remember where he lives, but I cannot envision dropping by unexpected

I don't expect you to drop by either. however, my point stands: if you're not packed with corals, you don't need to dose. practice KIS-keep it simple. if you dose, there's an added risk of overdosing and cause STN/tank crash. also, dosing involves knowing the reef you have and what it consumes.

hzheng33;1083504 wrote: I don't expect you to drop by either. however, my point stands: if you're not packed with corals, you don't need to dose. practice KIS-keep it simple. if you dose, there's an added risk of overdosing and cause STN/tank crash. also, dosing involves knowing the reef you have and what it consumes.
I bought a 200 gallon box of IO at the coral show that I need to open next time I make water. I have one more wc worth of water. Is it worth seeing if I can trade or sell it and get some reef crystals instead?

That sounds like a decent approach. I have started feeding every other day and moticed more visible growth. I am just trying to make the coral flourish and see how fast it will grow. Any recomendations for quick coral growth are welcome. Here is my biocube today...
a0a31c9855968b4eadf4d6a35e86a4b1.jpg
alt="" />

Sorry for the rough phone pic...I really need to think about that lens so my canon will work....

Finally tested water. I think I botched last nights tests, so I will only post today's.

Ca 382
Alkalinity 214
Phosphate 0.38

Back