Calcium question

Dmac

Market
Reaction score
So I dose about 12ml every day for alkalinity( stays at about 8.5/8.5). For some reason my calcium stays stable at about 450 and has been for about two weeks with no dosing. My magnesium is 1400. I had some Coraline start growing on my glass but it seems to have stalled. I just purchased new reagents for my red sea kit but I'm curious if they're faulty or is there something else I'm missing.

Calcium is consumed when your corals are growing. If it’s stable without dosing, it probably means there is something else stopping them from growing. I’d check your nitrates and phosphates. If they are too high, depending on what kind of corals you have it could be limiting growth. Those levels being too high can also stop coralline algae from growing.

Are you spreading the 12ml/day out or dosing all at once? I ask because of the possibility of precipitation, although that amount isn't much even for a 75.

It'd be good to know what your Temp, pH, NO3 & PO4 are.

We hit the same issue about a week ago now. Pulled the calcium dosing line to calculate the consumption over the course of a couple days and was surprised to find it was not dropping at all. Had the LFS double check our water to make sure it wasn't an issue with the tester. At least it's stuck at a good spot (440). We were dosing 16ml/day spread out over 24 hours.

Alk 8.5, Salinity 1.0254, Calc 440, PO4 .086. Temp 78.1.
Need to check nitrates and magnesium again.

I'm stumped and would love to know what causes this since we're in the same boat.

Recent changes:
Ran out of Reef Energy AB+ a couple weeks ago, was dosing 20ml/day. Just started again yesterday when the new supply came in, though Acro Power has been steady at 5ml/day uninterrupted.
New supply of Red Sea Trace Colors came in as well but dosing those is based off of calcium consumption (why we pulled the dosing line in the first place to recalculate it). We were at 3ml of each a day but with 0 measurable consumption I'm holding off adding the Trace Colors until we get things back on track.

Corals and fish at least appear happy enough. Will keep an eye on this thread.

Are you spreading the 12ml/day out or dosing all at once? I ask because of the possibility of precipitation, although that amount isn't much even for a 75.

It'd be good to know what your Temp, pH, NO3 & PO4 are.
Since it's such a small amount I dose it all at once oh, about 9 p.m. every night. My nitrates are either undetectable or almost at zero due to my refugium. Phosphates-.03
Salinity 1.025
Temp- 77-79
Ph- 8.2

Since it's such a small amount I dose it all at once oh, about 9 p.m. every night. My nitrates are either undetectable or almost at zero due to my refugium. Phosphates-.03
Salinity 1.025
Temp- 77-79
Ph- 8.2
I dose brs 2 part
You need to get the NO3 up a little.
Do you have your fuge on a light schedule and is the light intensity adjustable?

Dosing Alk everyday, with no change in Calc... for how long? Timeframe is important here to determine if anything is at issue.

I disagree regarding increasing nitrates. That won’t directly address whatever is going on. However, I know I’m in the minority; high nutrients are all the rage these days. My nitrates also are not detected (<0.25ppm) for years, without issue.

Dosing Alk everyday, with no change in Calc... for how long? Timeframe is important here to determine if anything is at issue.

I disagree regarding increasing nitrates. That won’t directly address whatever is going on. However, I know I’m in the minority; high nutrients are all the rage these days. My nitrates also are not detected (<0.25ppm) for years, without issue.
Based on my records it looks like I haven't dose calcium in at least three weeks

This past Monday. But honestly I just started doing regular water changes about a month ago. All of my levels were fine and everything seemed to be doing okay so I was operating off of the "if it's not broke don't fix it" mentality. I was thinking maybe it's just bad water quality but if it is it's nothing that I can test for. I run all the standard testing and they're all good

Based on my records it looks like I haven't dose calcium in at least three weeks
So the issue is that you have been dosing Alk everyday, and made no water changes. However, calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium have not changed in 3 weeks as expected. Is that correct?

I've been dosing alk for almost three years in all three of my tanks and have never had to dose calcium in any of them. Mostly softies and LPS with a little SPS in two of them, and I change 15% of the water weekly. Also two of the three have not had detectable nitrates since reaching about 5-6 weeks maturity, but Chaeto and coraline grows in both, and corals do grow and maintain decent color, probably not as quickly as in some systems but I'm good with it.

So the issue is that you have been dosing Alk everyday, and made no water changes. However, calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium have not changed in 3 weeks as expected. Is that correct?
Partially. Alkalinity changes daily. Calcium is staying the same and magnesium was dosed a couple of times but that was over a month ago.

Hmmm... so why do you think there is an issue? What do you expect, and what is not in line with expectations?

I’m sorry that I am asking this; I just don’t understand the issue yet.

Not a bad question at all. Two main reasons. I have a diatom issue that hasn't resolved itself. And also because of the lack of calcium consumption. I probably have about 30 frags in my tank if not a little more. I would think my calcium would be lowering at least weekly.

Not a bad question at all. Two main reasons. I have a diatom issue that hasn't resolved itself. And also because of the lack of calcium consumption. I probably have about 30 frags in my tank if not a little more. I would think my calcium would be lowering at least weekly.
What kind of frags?

Softies, hammers, torches, favia, couple of mini sps colonies (new) and a few others I can't think of right now

Back