Calcium question

So I haven't seen what size tank and how much and often do you change water? Small frags in a new tank are probably not exploding in growth, so i expect not much calcium is being used up.

When i first started dosing 2 part via dosing pumps I only had a few sps/lps frags. I still saw some calcium being used. In the beginning i saw alot of alk being used compared to calcium but as frags have grown and adding more SPS frags calcium usage has grown along with alk. I have not needed to dose magnesium yet. I do 20ish % water changes every two weeks

So I haven't seen what size tank and how much and often do you change water? Small frags in a new tank are probably not exploding in growth, so i expect not much calcium is being used up.
75 gallon display with 20 gallon sump. Changing 10-15% weekly for about a month. I have a couple large two head hammers I got from another member

Not a bad question at all. Two main reasons. I have a diatom issue that hasn't resolved itself. And also because of the lack of calcium consumption. I probably have about 30 frags in my tank if not a little more. I would think my calcium would be lowering at least weekly.

So you haven’t dosed calcium, and it hasn’t changed (over a time period of 3 weeks). And that time period includes at least 1 water change.

I don’t see an issue there.
1) Obviously, you haven’t dosed and it hasn’t changed... that’s reasonable.
2) The time period is 3 weeks. That’s a really short time. I’m not sure if you’re testing calcium daily, or just a couple points over those three weeks. But even so, it’s not a big issue.
3) I don’t know the chemical makeup of your salt, but that could have replenished any lost calcium in water changes.
4) Based on this size of your tank, your Alk dosing schedule, and the fact that Alk and Mag are fluctuating... I don’t see any signs that a test kit is faulty yet. I think you’re good to go! But that it’s good you’re keeping a watchful eye and asking questions!

You’re using up calcium! But that doesn’t mean it will be reflected directly in your test results.

75 gallon display with 20 gallon sump. Changing 10-15% weekly for about a month. I have a couple large two head hammers I got from another member

So you haven’t dosed calcium, and it hasn’t changed (over a time period of 3 weeks). And that time period includes at least 1 water change.

I don’t see an issue there.
1) Obviously, you haven’t dosed and it hasn’t changed... that’s reasonable.
2) The time period is 3 weeks. That’s a really short time. I’m not sure if you’re testing calcium daily, or just a couple points over those three weeks. But even so, it’s not a big issue.
3) I don’t know the chemical makeup of your salt, but that could have replenished any lost calcium in water changes.
4) Based on this size of your tank, your Alk dosing schedule, and the fact that Alk and Mag are fluctuating... I don’t see any signs that a test kit is faulty yet. I think you’re good to go! But that it’s good you’re keeping a watchful eye and asking questions!

You’re using up calcium! But that doesn’t mean it will be reflected directly in your test results.
I'm gonna ride with that for now. Nothing's dying so I won't jump off a ledge just yet.

Honestly I didn't even think about the water changes replacing my calcium.

I think you're in the same boat as me. Water changes are keeping up with the calcium consumption. Here's my 72 gallon, running for three years now and have never dosed calcium.

Attachments

• 20200821_190300.jpg
    20200821_190300.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 8
Honestly I didn't even think about the water changes replacing my calcium.
Every tank is different. Just keep an eye on your calcium. I check alk and calcium every week and magnesium every other week. It amazes me how much growth and added frags will change things

Yep. I think it’s water changes keeping your calcium flat... which is a good thing.

I just started dosing oceanmagik phyto into my tank after a bottle of pods... not sure if it’s truly magic but my algae, Dinos, diatoms and new tank uglies are gone. Polyp extension looks great and overall tank is looking awesome.

When are you testing for calcium, before or after the water changes?
Which test kit are you using for calcium?

I test a couple times a week, not right around the change with a red sea kit

If a tank consumes 2.8 dkH in alkalinity it only consumes 20 ppm of Ca. Assuming all is consumed in calcium carbonate formation.

If you are dosing equal amounts of 2 part based on your alkalinity consumption then your Ca levels should not change. That is because 2 part is formulated to maintain the above ratio.

Alkalinity can be consumed by other things like nitrifying bacteria. But most of the time this inconsequential. I have only noticed this during tank cycling.

I dose kalk and 2 part based on alkalinity and almost never have to add any calcium.

Back