Calcium Reactor Issue

jhutto

Reaction score
Fellow reefers,
Today I was adding a new tank of CO2 to the calcium reactor and adding the reef keeper ph controller to the system. Spent all the time calibrating etc. When I went to turn CO2 on the tank I had the regulator too open and there was a rush of gas and in a matter of a few seconds. I heard two pops.
First one was a crack in the lid of my CR and the second was the cover on the Eheim pump popping off. Both covers will need to be replaced. It could have been worse.

Lesson learned. DO not open regulator until the CO2 tank is opened and then only slightly. The pressure in the CO2 tank over loaded the regulator that was too open and caused the reactor to explode with the pressure.

I knew better but just forgot. Got some water to clean up and parts to replace.
Joe

Thanks for sharing. Best thing is that you didn't result with an accident due to the incident, Co2 tanks are way to dangerous that we sometimes tends to underestimate the power contained inside them, in not saying that you didn't take appropriate measures on handling, and it happens, just an incident.

Joe,
I had the same thing happen to me with a GEO 618 I owned, and I emailed GEO and he actually sent me a brand new lid free. Even paid for shipping, believe it or not.

If the Eheim pump cover you are mentioning is the silver slotted one, don't worry about it. Not needed for operation. If it is the piece that holds the impeller in place, that's another story.

If it helps, I think I have a spare eheim pump if you need the cover off it. You can get it back to me when you get your replacement in. I will have to check in the basement.
Dave

George says the fee is $55 dollars for a new lid as the manifold has changed and he no longer has the old one. Do you think Weld on would work to repair the top? It's cracked but smooth to the touch on both sides. It goes from manifold in center to 3/4 way to edge.

The Eheim pump cover is the impeller cover. It busted both pieces that hold the cover on it. Already ordered from Eheim parts.

Joe

There actually isn't much weldon won't fix. particularly if you affix a "brace" to the bottom.

jhutto;909639 wrote: George says the fee is $55 dollars for a new lid as the manifold has changed and he no longer has the old one. Do you think Weld on would work to repair the top? It's cracked but smooth to the touch on both sides. It goes from manifold in center to 3/4 way to edge.

The Eheim pump cover is the impeller cover. It busted both pieces that hold the cover on it. Already ordered from Eheim parts.

Joe

I have a tube of Weldon 16 if you want to try to fix it. Call me if you need to.
Dave

Back