Calcium reactor setup

lshin037

Market
Reaction score
I'll be setting up a calcium reactor soon and been reading up on how to set it up. The write up on the top of this forum has helped tremendously but I have a question on the CO2 injection part. I will be using my apex to control a solenoid based off a ph probe inside the chamber. It's been strongly recommended to get the carbondoser electronic regulator/bubble counter. If you use your apex to control the injection of co2, wouldnt it ok to use a regular regulator and set the bubble count to a bit more than the exact amount needed (if you need to set it to 60 bpm, you set it to something slightly higher like 65-70)? Im thinking the exact bubble count wouldnt matter since the apex is doing the controlling.

I'm no expert myself, but i beleive that the carbon doser is probably easier to adjust, the apex would still be used as a controller with either carbon doser or regulator. My personal carx has the Milwaukee regulator on it and it works just fine. I didn't really see the added value in the cost of a carbon doser vs regulator. One thing I would definately recommend is getting a quality adjustable peristaltic pump to feed the carx.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Watch the new BRS videos on calcium reactors- it’s on their YouTube channel

I'm no expert myself, but i beleive that the carbon doser is probably easier to adjust, the apex would still be used as a controller with either carbon doser or regulator. My personal carx has the Milwaukee regulator on it and it works just fine. I didn't really see the added value in the cost of a carbon doser vs regulator. One thing I would definately recommend is getting a quality adjustable peristaltic pump to feed the carx.

Indeed it would be easier and almost a necessity if you didnt use an apex. Im thinking if the apex is doing the controlling, you dont have to worry so much about the bubble count. It would be another failsafe.

The carbon doser is just a digital solenoid rather than a needle valve. Once the bubble count is set it shouldn't really need to be adjusted as you can increase flow through the carx to meet your demands, once you have maxed out flow you can set the ph lower to further meet your demand.

I had a cheap regulator when I first tried a CaRx. Of course I had a ph controller monitoring the ph levels... but the regulator would go from dialed in at a nice steady bubble count to then start gushing bubbles at a crazy rate quite unpredictably. The controller would shut it off but the ph had already gone wayy too low by that point. and a lot more of the media melted and my ph would spike downward as well.

This was 14 years ago though... and I haven't tried other regulators other than the carbon doser and that cheap one back in the day. I'm sure there are reasonable ones out there that will stay relatively consistent that would work just fine. I think it might even be wiser to potentially setup a second probe as a failsafe.

I had a cheap regulator when I first tried a CaRx. Of course I had a ph controller monitoring the ph levels... but the regulator would go from dialed in at a nice steady bubble count to then start gushing bubbles at a crazy rate quite unpredictably. The controller would shut it off but the ph had already gone wayy too low by that point. and a lot more of the media melted and my ph would spike downward as well.

This was 14 years ago though... and I haven't tried other regulators other than the carbon doser and that cheap one back in the day. I'm sure there are reasonable ones out there that will stay relatively consistent that would work just fine. I think it might even be wiser to potentially setup a second probe as a failsafe.

Thanks Jin. Exactly what I didn’t want to hear. Lol. This is what I’ve feared would happen. I guess I’l have to see what regulator the reactor will come with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aye it was a pain in the arse back then. Sometimes the bubbles would stop with that regulator too... A calcium reactor in theory should give you more stable alk/ca than dosing... but when the reg isn't stable your whole setup won't work right. I remember checking it every morning and night while I was using it. That sucked :p

I use a $50 one from amazon with my apex. My reactor has a flow meter and a ph probe so it’s consistent. My testing however is not all the time. I had everything dialed in and my frag tank was beginning to look like one of the Facebook posts of the big guys. Except for one thing my tank was not already covered in coralline only maybe 50%. Well the coralline started to take off and my alk hit 5-5.5 from 12 before I caught it. I’m not sure if you heard but corals like stability and an all swing of 7 in less than 2 weeks didn’t qualify.

Has anyone seen my trident?

Aye it was a pain in the arse back then. Sometimes the bubbles would stop with that regulator too... A calcium reactor in theory should give you more stable alk/ca than dosing... but when the reg isn't stable your whole setup won't work right. I remember checking it every morning and night while I was using it. That sucked :p

That would a worst nightmare scenario. I've worked in hospitals repairing medical equipment for over 20 years and never seen or heard of a regulator doing that. Couldnt you put another failsafe by having the outlet to the feed pump shut off after a certain Ph?

I use a $50 one from amazon with my apex. My reactor has a flow meter and a ph probe so it’s consistent. My testing however is not all the time. I had everything dialed in and my frag tank was beginning to look like one of the Facebook posts of the big guys. Except for one thing my tank was not already covered in coralline only maybe 50%. Well the coralline started to take off and my alk hit 5-5.5 from 12 before I caught it. I’m not sure if you heard but corals like stability and an all swing of 7 in less than 2 weeks didn’t qualify.

Has anyone seen my trident?

Didnt they say weekly release for the trident?

It was the cheapest reg on the market 14 years ago. I'm sure it was just bad. After experiencing that back then, I went with a carbon doser this time around which is the other extreme. It works well but its not a necessity per se.

Doug @urbanknight and I both bought regulator setups from a guy that hand builds the components. We found him from one of the planted tank forums. The cost was about $325 for everything and uses a rock solid dual diaphragm regulator. The needle valve is also a real good one that makes making adjustments super easy.

For mine, I had him use a 24v DC solenoid that I wired to the 24v port on my EB832. I've got the bubble count set to about 70-80 and am using a Kamoer peristialic pump to pull through the reactor at 55ml/min with the Apex controlling the ph. It has been working very good for me and has really been set it and forget it. The only things I do is calibrate both the pump and ph probe every 6 to 8 weeks.

Doug @urbanknight and I both bought regulator setups from a guy that hand builds the components. We found him from one of the planted tank forums. The cost was about $325 for everything and uses a rock solid dual diaphragm regulator. The needle valve is also a real good one that makes making adjustments super easy.

For mine, I had him use a 24v DC solenoid that I wired to the 24v port on my EB832. I've got the bubble count set to about 70-80 and am using a Kamoer peristialic pump to pull through the reactor at 55ml/min with the Apex controlling the ph. It has been working very good for me and has really been set it and forget it. The only things I do is calibrate both the pump and ph probe every 6 to 8 weeks.

Thanks Adam. Must be a stout regulator. Almost the price of a carbondoser regulator. I have a Kamoer pump coming. Had to go to ebay since all the retailers were out of stock. I'll be pulling as well to avoid pressurizing the chamber. What media do you use and what's your Ph set at? Im probably going to get the media from Rit. Just dont know what brand media he's got.

It is a stout regulator and better than the single stage Carbon Doser. I believe all the components are a few steps above that product.

I'm using TLF Reborn & Remag in the main chamber. In a small secondary chamber I'm using fine ARM media but will be switching to corase Argontite sand for the media in it soon.

Back