Calcium Reactor Setup

oz

Market
Reaction score
I found a good link online about setting up a calcium reactor.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=216503">http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=216503</a>

I learned a good bit from this but do have 1 question:

1. If you have your CO2 controlled by the ph monitor, what should control when the reactor is on and off? I assume it shouldn't run 24x7 so just the 8-10 hours a day that the lights are on?

(I have the dual chamber MRC with large 1st chamber)

Run the recirc pump 24/7...it is best to have the CO2 on a controller. Run the feed at a rate that you only drip the efluent into your tank depending on what calcium level you want to maintain. I know there is a formula to figure that out but I just use the "if it looks good method"! Good luck...you'll love adding a CA Reactor..makes a huge difference!

ChrisOzment;225413 wrote: I found a good link online about setting up a calcium reactor.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=216503">http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=216503</a>

I learned a good bit from this but do have 1 question:

1. If you have your CO2 controlled by the ph monitor, what should control when the reactor is on and off? I assume it shouldn't run 24x7 so just the 8-10 hours a day that the lights are on?

(I have the dual chamber MRC with large 1st chamber)[/QUOTE]As stated above, the reactor's recirc pump should run 24/7, as should the throughput pump from your sump (or tank) that pushes the tank water into the reactor. The controller only keeps the pH inside the reactor at a constant level, usually 6.65 to 6.75 for most systems using aragonite reactor medium, and does so by controlling when to deliver the CO2 gas. How much calcium and alkalinity is actually delivered to the tank is controlled as a static level based on what pH range you run inside the reactor as well as how fast your throughput pump is pushing water through the system (partially controlled by whatever drip rate you set on the effluent valve). Some other variables will be controllable to determine what your final delivery rate of calcium and alk will be (medium diameter, recirc rate inside the reactor chamber, depth of media in primary(recirculating) chamber and secondary (non-recirculating) chamber, tank pH: but these are usually factors that do not vary once established in a reactor setup). Controlling how much calcium is delivered to the tank is a balencing act of tank assimiliation by hermatypics Vs. rate of aragonite dissolution and delivery rate of the dissolved product. Establishing what your alkalinity is in the effluent and your rate of effluent delivery, then comparing those two values to your weekly test results for the tank will give you the prameters you need to determine if you are giving your system enough supplementation for Ca and Alk. Most often it is best to establish whether there are upward or downward trends in your test results, and adjust your delivery accordingly to correct for the trends you see.

HTH

So as long as the CO2 is on/off as dictated by the ph monitor range set, there's no harm in dripping calcium 24/7? If I find that the calcium level is staying too high I can slow the CO2 delivery to reduce the media breakdown right?

that's correct and what I was telling you the other day when you were over ;)

Lee - but I thought you didn't run your reactor 24x7....????

ChrisOzment;225438 wrote: So as long as the CO2 is on/off as dictated by the ph monitor range set, there's no harm in dripping calcium 24/7? If I find that the calcium level is staying too high I can slow the CO2 delivery to reduce the media breakdown right?
yup, or you can cut down effluent rate, as the controller will automatically cut down on the amount of CO2. If the rate of effluent throughput goes down, the reactor ends up recirculating the same water for a longer period of time, allowing CO2 to come to a higher concentration (lower pH), and thereby keeping the pH down in range for a longer period of time. The controller will not call for more CO2 until the pH rises above the range you've established in the reactor with the controller. If the reactor continues to deliver too much of the hermatypic supplements to the tank and you are at a minimal delivery rate for effluent, then you can make your pH range a bit more alkaline (leess CO2 = less acidic=more alkaline=higher pH) to drop how much aragonite is dissolved in the effluent. If your effluent is wide open and you can't get enough calcium and alkalinity, then drop the range by a few tenth of a pH unit and cut your effluent rate back a bit (you can always turn it up if it isn't enough), always looking for trends in the test results rather than single day values. Adjust slowly, as it may take a week to see the final effect of adjustments on calcium reactors.

HTH

Great - thanks for the re-inforcement.

Now I need a different PH monitor with AC power for the CO2! The milwaukee PH monitor I have is only powered by 9V.

nah man, always on. The only thing that cuts off is the co2 solenoid the recirc pump is always on.

Last questions (I hope) - What model milwaukee are you using for the reactor/CO2 control?

And you have the Kalk (to raise ph) controlled by your RK2 and second ph monitor right?

I use the Milwaukee SM122 and my Octo 3000 controller doses the Kalk if the PH gets to low.

Pinpoint controller, I have had problems with the Milwaukee controllers (and their regulators) in the past (the Milwaukee probes tend to drift from calibration rather quickly), at the rate of use that I am having in the diesplay system (heavy), pH range is 6.5 to 6.6

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13466&stc=1&d=1223328953" alt="" />
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/225489=13466-DSC_0002r_Pinpoint_controller.jpg>
225489=13466-DSC_0002r_Pinpoint_controller.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0002r_Pinpoint_controller.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Just as an addendum, you will need to have a separate pH probe to monitor the tank water with the probe is placed upstream from the effluent drip site. This will allow you to evaluate tank pH to make sure that you are not running the reactor at an excessive delivery rate for CO2 (which would drive tank pH way down and act to poison your tank's occupants). Even with controllers in use, I have seen this happen.

Perfect - sent you a pm about the American marine unit. Thanks!

ChrisOzment;225501 wrote: Perfect - sent you a pm about the American marine unit. Thanks!
reply sent, I think you'll find the info you need in the reply.

HTH

Back