Calcium Reactor Shopping

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
Lot a CR threads happnin right now. Got me to shopping a little.

Do you shop for CR's like skimmers? If a skimmer is rated for a 120-150 gallon tank. Its probably better suited for a 75.

CR's the same way???

Barbara;308558 wrote: Chris, as a new CR owner, I did some research too. There is some concern for size of reactor in order to make sure it will keep up with your system, but as ares says, the size also depends on how much demand you will have. CRs are rated for tank size, and I would think assume an "average" load.

So your saying size <u>doesnt</u> matter...its how big your load is.

Thanks!

Size always matters. If I had it to do over again I would have bought the next size up. It does depend on what you plan to keep I have a full blown sps tank which uses a lot all and cal.

Joe

I bought mine to go for a larger tank/more SPS and clams. So I know my system will be fine if totally maxed out.

Mee too. I bought one rated for tanks up to 800 gallons, and only have a 90. Although I highly doubt that my Jetstream will keep an 800G tank with SPS in it full of calcium. I just need to get this thing to fit in my stand somehow...

There are some fundamental facts in this hobby:

1. You will eventually upgrade tanks
2. You rarely will ever upgrade your calcium reactor.

Considering this, I would get a larger, more efficient unit if you can. Usually, the cost difference is minimal (CR-4 vs. CR-6 is only $80 difference). By no means do you need to buy a huge commercial unit, but I would get something that is say one step up from your current system.

Back