calling advice from aquatic store owners

kstyle13

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am getting more and more frustrated in this hobby. I am in the warner robins area which as most from here know there aren't really any specialty stores that focus mainly on our hobby. My dream since I was younger was to one day open a pet store. Well I am to the point now that I want that dream to become a reality. With this being said I have to come up with a business plan, a setup to support the aquatic life, and everything else that goes with it. This is a huge undertaking so I don't expect it to happen overnight. But I am doing my research and I would like feedback and opinions and suggestions. Many in the Atlanta area have successful businesses. I want a successful business in my area that will meet the needs of the thousands of refers here locally. Can anyone offer anything? I mean anything that would be useful in getting this underway!!
Thanks in advance
Kourtney

LOL.. Number 1 advice would be wait until you have much more experience. Many people have tried to open a story with half knowledge thinking that all they needed was a tank with water and a supplier. Those do not last very long. So maybe you get a job at a store first.

I know that. Lol that's why I am in the planning stage Nd want advice. I've Got 17 years in the hobby. Just not the reef hobby. But as far as fish in general fowler setups and fish only I've got it. The coral and reef part is what I don't have experience in. Also I will have freshwater.

I also intend to bring on a few more experienced people. I've the experience part down. I just want advice on Dos and don't with the business.

Just my advice.. But then again, you did not ask for my advice or opinion so I will bow out. Well maybe with one parting thought, being a business man myself, I am not sure if a forum is the proper place to ask for business advice on a start up. I would recommend constructing personal relationships with the people you seek information from and it might be more fruitful. I have a feeling that most who liked you would tell you to run and not walk from the business. And the ones who do not like you will not be very warm and receptive.

I wouldn't necessarily expect warm and fuzzies from current Atlanta area fish store owners, as you are asking them to tell you how to compete with them.

I imported and sold Discus online for a couple years, and I asked the same thing on a couple Discus related websites. Surprise surprise when I got no help from anyone regarding how to import Discus. I had to learn all by myself. I see why no one helped me now. Why would they help me compete with them?

If you really want to know how to or not to run the marine/reef section of a fish store, get a job in one for a while. You'll know how to do it soon after that.

I've had many, many, many people ask me why I haven't ever opened a reef store, or a wholesalers, or something else related to fishkeeping, as I have been in the hobby for 40 years, and have kept almost everything you can think of. My answer is that if you try to earn a living off of it, it becomes work.

I like fishkeeping too much to ever let it be anything but a hobby.....JMO.

Hopefully, I pasted the link correctly. There are some good perspectives in this thread that you may find beneficial in your endeavor.

showthread.php

Suddenly, the poll is at the top of the discussion list, so no need for the link. Not sure how that happened as it doesn't appear it's been replied to since December.

Newbie20;941867 wrote: Suddenly, the poll is at the top of the discussion list, so no need for the link. Not sure how that happened as it doesn't appear it's been replied to since December.

Someone voted then.

The area that you live in is a tricky one. I visit Macon a lot and the Warner Robbins area. You do have a large area from which to draw from but not the clients that you seek. A lot of people cannot see dumping a $1000.00 for a successful tank and that is just a start. Warner Robbins is always on the chopping block to be closed and they are cutting back on funds. Macon is not growing very fast either. There are hardly any saltwater stores, I haven't looked in a while. Wet Pets is the only thing keeping aquariums up and front in the Macon area.

I have been involved with the building on 4 successful businesses and still run one as of today. In the past we had a few members in Macon, Warner Robbins and one lady used to have a huge 400 gallon system down 16 in the country somewhere, quite impressive. Part of me says to either be in Warner Robbins or the north side of Macon, near the new outside mall.

As a recently failed retail business owner, I would ask you a few questions first.... way before we even get to the fish part.

Most places won't let you open up credit (or a lease) without a personal guarantee.... There's goes the "LL" portion of an LLC. Are you ok with that?
Are you prepared to take on an endeavor that has a very high risk of failure, potentially endangering your personal financial well being?
Are you financially secure enough to maintain a business while it gets off the ground? It's a long time to financial break even....

McPhock;942012 wrote: As a recently failed retail business owner, I would ask you a few questions first.... way before we even get to the fish part.

Most places won't let you open up credit (or a lease) without a personal guarantee.... There's goes the "LL" portion of an LLC. Are you ok with that?
Are you prepared to take on an endeavor that has a very high risk of failure, potentially endangering your personal financial well being?
Are you financially secure enough to maintain a business while it gets off the ground? It's a long time to financial break even....

:up:The average is 3 years before a business is profitable. That is if you are able to control your overhead. I just recently negotiated my power bill with GA power, being that I am a manufacturing plant and actually start my work 30 min earlier and close 30 min earlier, but the savings are well worth it.

and you are still pretty close to ATL..anyone thats in this hobby and wants quality will make that short drive to the stores in ATL..heck, i drive from chattanooga since the stores heres are POS's..i wouldnt consider opening a saltwater store unless i had more experience than you currently have on the salt side of the hobby..

Ok yes I know the financial side of it. I understand that businesses don't just pop up overnight and it does take a while for them to even break even. As far as actually opening the business I'm looking at realistically opening in say 3 to 5 years. But I do want to start planning now. I don't have anything planned other than what I would like to do.... so i appreciate any advice that can be put forth to further a dream. I have several people who will invest when the time is right. By that I mean once I'm ready to start opening.

Atlanta Aquarium;942040 wrote: I highly recommend you to go work for a fish store before opening one your own. Don't go to work for just any fish store though. Find you a very well run fish store to work for.

THIS.

Over the years I've been asked the question many times, and that's the first thing I suggest.

I had over 14 years in the hobby. I worked in the trade for someone else (whose store was failing) for a year before I tried it myself. Be sure you're OK with eating, sleeping, living and breathing the business.

Have 3 times the money you think you'll need.

Write a plan, do a feasibility study. That might tell the tale before you invest any money, blood, sweat and tears.

I packed it in after 11 1/2 years, because I was burned out and tired of not having a life. The return was mediocre given what I was 'paying' in sweat equity. It was fun, I enjoyed my time as the business owner, but when an exit window opened, I chose to take it.

Regrets? A few - mistakes made, and such, but that's part of the curve, and by and large, I'm glad I did what I did, and if success is not only graded by money, I'd say I was successful. I didn't vanish in the night like some have ;) (Or felt they had to....)

It's not an easy business and it's not for everyone. Know what you're getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Jenn

Absolutely jenn. That's why I'm beginning this journey well before I'm plan to jump in.

Have you looked at the stores you'll be competing with in atl? Also, you could try selling frags from your garage/house to support your hobby.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have not been to Atlanta to any of the stores. I don't have the time with my job now. I have however looked at all the lfs in my area. I can say that they are not up to par. Seeing the downside of the ones local to me many many years I can tell you what I don't want to happen.

Of course. Chattanooga has absolutely zero quality stores in the 2 that we do have. I'm a lot further away from atl so wouldn't have to deal with all the superb stores in atl. If you start in your home you could build a customer base and see if the option of a store is even viable in your area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back