came home from vaca...to a dead tank.

strapingyunglad

Market
Reaction score
I went on a carnival cruise this turkey day for a week and i came back to a tank completely devoid of life....do tears count as ROd? i could use a change.
The whole vacation i was kinda expectin it. The day before the trip my geniouse self thought "i might as well do one last water change before i go" so i did. But the stupid salt crystals in the change water wouldnt dilute and i couldnt get an accurate reading so i decided to put the heater in the new water and crank it to full blast to get it to disolve. It worked so i waited for the water to cool up then put the water and heater and stuff back in the tank. Sound ok? wanna know my mistake? I PUT THE HEATER BACK IN THE TANK WITHOUT TURNING IT DOWN!!!! The next day i look at my tank and every thing in it is shriveld, and the shrimp and crabs are running for there lives. So i try to check the sg and wene i reached in the tank i realized somthing....THE WATER WAS EFFIN HOT! 105f to be exact....sooooo my life rocks right now.
(i would have had an emote after that but theres not one slitting its wrists)

R.I.P.

kenya tree.....decesed

purple mushies......decesed

red mushies...decesed

GSP (thanks DrN).....decesed

Finger leather (thanks again DrN).....decesed

cabage leather (im sorry DrN).....decesed

Fire and ice zoas (Srry Bob).....decesed

green candy cane (I suk bob).....seeing the light soon to be dead

And with that i bid farwell im out of the hobby

j/k....im still in, but need the number to the suicide hotline, NOW!

I went on a carnival cruise this turkey day for a week and i came back to a tank completely devoid of life....do tears count as ROd? i could use a change.
The whole vacation i was kinda expectin it. The day before the trip my geniouse self thought "i might as well do one last water change before i go" so i did. But the stupid salt crystals in the change water wouldnt dilute and i couldnt get an accurate reading so i decided to put the heater in the new water and crank it to full blast to get it to disolve. It worked so i waited for the water to cool up then put the water and heater and stuff back in the tank. Sound ok? wanna know my mistake? I PUT THE HEATER BACK IN THE TANK WITHOUT TURNING IT DOWN!!!! The next day i look at my tank and every thing in it is shriveld, and the shrimp and crabs are running for there lives. So i try to check the sg and wene i reached in the tank i realized somthing....THE WATER WAS EFFIN HOT! 105f to be exact....sooooo my life rocks right now.
(i would have had an emote after that but theres not one slitting its wrists)

R.I.P.

kenya tree.....decesed

purple mushies......decesed

red mushies...decesed

GSP (thanks DrN).....decesed

Finger leather (thanks again DrN).....decesed

cabage leather (im sorry DrN).....decesed

Fire and ice zoas (Srry Bob).....decesed

green candy cane (I suk bob).....seeing the light soon to be dead

And with that i bid farwell im out of the hobby

j/k....im still in, but need the number to the suicide hotline, NOW!

It's kind of like the saying among motorcycle riders....there are two kinds of motorcyclists--those who have had an accident, and those who are going to. Same thing with reef tanks...we just need to not make the same mistake again (we're guaranteed to make a different one!).

Note to self--last minute, I'm-in-a-hurry changes can cause problems!

Sorry for your losses...I'm no where near you, but I've got some GSP and kenya tree for you if you want it!

Yeah cruise was cool. The whole time i took some real nice pics of wild coral so ill post em soon.

(by the way i dont have bad luck im just an idiot who cant turn off a heater)
allmost forgot

green and brown button polyps....decesed.

I'm not sure if it would be worth the drive, but PM me once you get set back up. I've got some pretty big frags of your more common ones I'd let you have. The cabbage and finger leather and some of those green and brown polyps.

Thanks ill try not to kill em. Well as crazy as this sounds im taking this oprotunity to upgrade my lighting. but once thats done ill give ya a call.

So just to recap, My tank crashes, i decide to get bigger lights, a lot of people decide to give me coral....if you can find a more freindly and upbeat hobby than reefing id love to see it. Thanks soooo much every one it helps a lot......still pissed of though.

James, FYI: I merged your two threads on the same topic together. If you want this thread moved to RnC, let me know.

Hit me up when you are ready to restock and we will get a few frags to ya. If you need any help getting things back up and running let me know.
Greg

Yeah, clean it up and let it re-cycle for a bit and we will get you going again. I have quite a few things you can have. Just be sure to PM or post a thread when you're ready!

I did the same thing about 7 years ago with my first saltwater tank.

I know your pain several years ago I had one of the best looking 150 gal reef tanks in Georgia I had corals that was one of a kind..... anyway to make a long story short we had a Hurricaine come thur middle Ga and I was without power for a week I lost over $30,000 in fish and corals that really hurt I sold off and gave away most of my stuff and said I would never reef again..... but once bitten you aways come back I have had my new tank for about a year now and I'm really glad my wife talked me into getting in again.....
So don't give up..............

georgiaboy013;249591 wrote: I know your pain several years ago I had one of the best looking 150 gal reef tanks in Georgia I had corals that was one of a kind..... anyway to make a long story short we had a Hurricaine come thur middle Ga and I was without power for a week I lost over $30,000 in fish and corals that really hurt I sold off and gave away most of my stuff and said I would never reef again..... but once bitten you aways come back I have had my new tank for about a year now and I'm really glad my wife talked me into getting in again.....

Makes me want a back up generator bad!

georgiaboy013;249591 wrote: I know your pain several years ago I had one of the best looking 150 gal reef tanks in Georgia I had corals that was one of a kind..... anyway to make a long story short we had a Hurricaine come thur middle Ga and I was without power for a week I lost over $30,000 in fish and corals that really hurt I sold off and gave away most of my stuff and said I would never reef again..... but once bitten you aways come back I have had my new tank for about a year now and I'm really glad my wife talked me into getting in again.....

Have any pics of your old setup? I'd love sit.

Back