Can any fw fish be converted to sw?

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
I know that brackish water fish cna be converted to saltwater (mollies, guppies, scats, colombian sharks, and green spot puffers) But are they reef safe? Can fish like goldfish be or african chiclids be converted?
Thanks, Diane

I know mollies can be done. I have one in my frag tank. The method is kind of like the drip acclimation method for a new fish. For some reason I did a male and a female the the male died. The female has been in the system for 2 months now. Mollies are suppose to help with algae. Mine seems not to know that.

I might have to try a green spotted puffer, I know they're brackish so they'll be easier and my dad really wants a puffer. I just have to make sure that they're reef safe.

a>

twistoflime;348523 wrote: I might have to try a green spotted puffer, I know they're brackish so they'll be easier and my dad really wants a puffer. I just have to make sure that they're reef safe.

To my understanding they have been converted but as with all puffers, it is hit or miss on being reef safe. My gut feeling would be that they are not.

I used the drip acclimation on a green spotted puffer years ago and he lived and grew in a saltwater tank but it was FOWLR so I don't know about reef safe

I might try it. They stay relitivly small so I can keep it in my 30g for a while until I know whether or not it will work I may also try some mollies or guppies.

the green spotted should be ok in reg. saltwater-but DEF. not reef safe--and they need to be housed with more aggressive fish as even though they'r ethe size of a nickle they pack a helluva mean punch

Any brackish water fish can be acclimated to a SW tank, with a few caveats. Brackish Water fish would not appreciate the high salinity needed to live in a reef environment. While tolerating the SW, they should really be kept in water of a specific gravity of 1.021 or lower preferably.

Brackish water fish are from rivers and estuaries that feed into the ocean, where the environment is typically not pure FW or SW. This is the reason those types of fish can tolerate SW. It's also the reason other fish (like goldfish) could not.

Although think how cool it would be to have a plecostomus in </em>a reef tank........ Algae issues would be a thing of the past........ Alas, they can not tolerate saltwater, but would be cool nonetheless

Any brackish water fish can be acclimated to a SW tank, with a few caveats. Brackish Water fish would not appreciate the high salinity needed to live in a reef environment. While tolerating the SW, they should really be kept in water of a specific gravity of 1.021 or lower preferably.

Brackish water fish are from rivers and estuaries that feed into the ocean, where the environment is typically not pure FW or SW. This is the reason those types of fish can tolerate SW. It's also the reason other fish (like goldfish) could not.

Ok I guess I won't try the green spotted puffer. I did find some other brackish water fish that could work
buble bee goby
any type of molly
possibly guppies
indian glass fish
celebes rainbowfish
orange chromide
If anything I'll probobly just try mollies becuase I know they're reefsafe, but I may try the bumble bee goby.

if I'm thinking of the same puffer, they're not only very aggressive (attacking fish 10x their size), they're also poisonous. When they die, they can secrete a toxin that will kill at least whatever eats it, and can seriously damage smaller tanks (I know you do not have that problem though :) )

any shrimp you have in your tank will be eaten right away...GSP love shrimp. I'd feed full size crayfish to mine. I've kept them for years and loved them :) Not too sure how they would do in a reef...they "might" try some things because they are a little inquisitive, but I dont think you'd need to worry too much. As far as aggressiveness, yeah they are. I've heard about the toxins thing, but never witnessed any issues. Mollies will for sure convert over, I actually had a pair that birthed little mollies in the tank.

stickx911;348588 wrote: if I'm thinking of the same puffer, they're not only very aggressive (attacking fish 10x their size), they're also poisonous. When they die, they can secrete a toxin that will kill at least whatever eats it, and can seriously damage smaller tanks (I know you do not have that problem though :) )

hmmm...maybe I had a few extra mean ones then-lol; but mine would nip at anything!

We have probably 5-10 mollies that are already in salt water at fish scales, they have been in the tank for about a week. I know it is a drive for you though.
Chris c

Back