Can anybody here weld perfect 90° corners?

rededge2k1

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently building a 40" tall frag tank stand/cabinet that will have a completely removable front plywood panel. So, the only structural supports are the back, sides, and top. So I will need to install a metal U-shaped angle brace in the front to prevent racking.

Can anyone here help me out? I don't have a fortune to spend but of course am willing to pay for your time & materials. Here's what I need, it needs to have mitered 90° corners and the long sides need to be parallel +/- 1/16". I'll also need some holes drilled in the angle for bolting it to the inside of the plywood cabinet. I would do this myself but I'm not good enough of a welder to be this accurate!

24x24x40FragTankStandMetalFrontBrac.jpg
alt="" />

If you can help me make this happen or know someone who can, let me know!

Thanks,
Dustin

DrNecropolis;446351 wrote: Check with Scott (son of adam) he is a metal working ninja!

Yep sent him a PM already. Thanks!

Anyone else, just in case Scott is stretched thin at the moment? I'd really like to have this for the weekend, the girl will be away so it'll be a good weekend to get the cabinet finished.

Thanks again,
Dustin

Small plywood triangles in the corners attached with pocket screws would work. I guess you want it to be completely open?

grouper therapy;446355 wrote: Small plywood triangles in the corners attached with pocket would work. I guess you want it to be completely open?

That was my original idea but after building it I learned the plywood triangle braces aren't good enough for comfort, there's still a good deal of wobble left-to-right (front-to-back is rock solid though). It just won't work on a narrow, 40" tall cabinet with 400lbs of tank on top of it. I need steel.

Yep, the front panel will be completely removable.

Dustin

I can do it. I still have a bunch of 1 1/4 left over from when I built a stand for my 300 at my last house. Just let me know, I could probably do it tommorow afternoon.

RedEDGE2k1;446356 wrote: That was my original idea but after building it I learned the plywood triangle braces aren't good enough for comfort, there's still a good deal of wobble left-to-right (front-to-back is rock solid though). It just won't work on a narrow, 40" tall cabinet with 400lbs of tank on top of it. I need steel.

Yep, the front panel will be completely removable.

Dustin

Got it. I missed the tank being that big.

Back