Can I fix this skimmer with Weld on 4 / 16?

tonymission

Market
Reaction score
983818=56149-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410135305.179905.jpg
>
983818=56149-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410135305.179905.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410135305.179905.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Bought this BK mini 160 and it got damaged during shipping. Paid $475 and guy is offering as one of my options to give me $225 back by fixing it myself with Weld On. He said use 4 for the cracks and 16 around where the PVC T meets the acrylic body since there is a bit of a gap there. Says if FedEx pays for the damage then he'll replace the body, but not sure I can ensure that happening if I take the money.

1) Is this possible to fix and how will it hold up over time?
2) Am I getting good value by having a working BK mini for $250 that I probably can't ever resell?

I've obviously tried running it and yeah it's a bubble king all right. All over my sump and tank.... Bubbles!!

In my limited experience I would say don't do it. I do not believe you could get full coverage of the Weldon in the cracks and it would not weld properly.

I would see what bubble king charges for the replacement body and either offer to accept a partial refund in that amount or a full refund. Either that or pursue a claim with FedEx.

It seems like 225 would cover a new body

The weld-on 4 is like water and should wick into the cracks eaisly. Filling the gap around the pvc is what 16 is designed for. It won't be pretty but it should work fine. If you're using it in a sump a slight drip won't matter either. If you don't mind how it looks it's a good deal.

The replacement body with the T attached is $348 through premium aquatics. Doubt that covers shipping. That's a decent chunk. I think that would be the best plan; try to fix it and maybe pay the difference for the replacement if it doesn't work out?

Tony,
Did the seller give you the option of a refund regardless of the FedEx outcome? FedEx was his agent. He paid for them to transport the skimmer to you.

I would opt for the replacement body or a refund of your purchase price. Not your problem if the skimmer was not packed properly, which, if the seller packed it, will probably be the determination by FedEx.

If your seller has not offered a complete refund, I would be getting ready to dispute the purchase with PayPal or my CC company. A damaged unit, regardless of how it happened, is "significantly not as described," or whatever the phrase is, and a slam dunk in your favor in a dispute. You are in no way, shape or form responsible for this, and should bear no financial responsibility for the damage. At least that would be my attitude in this situation.

Acroholic;983832 wrote: Tony,
Did the seller give you the option of a refund regardless of the FedEx outcome? FedEx was his agent. He paid for them to transport the skimmer to you.

I would opt for the replacement body or a refund of your purchase price. Not your problem if the skimmer was not packed properly, which, if the seller packed it, will probably be the determination by FedEx.

^^^This

He has given me the option of full refund.
It was packed horribly and I even told him that. I wonder if it was already broke and he packed it bad to then blame the break on fedex and try that route?
I guess my thinking was that it was pretty cheap and I probably still can't find one of these for this price. What skimmer do I buy with my money back? I just sold my Vertex! Guess could do that again.

Basically any way I slice this he's not going to pay for a new body and says he did a great job packing it. I suppose if I really wanted to be a jerk I could file a PayPal dispute, get all my money back and then just buy the replacement part. Send him the difference as a matter of principle. If fedex compensates him then he doesn't lose as much. But he has to lose something for his horrible packing -- he's trying to come out even.

He said if we do refund he would just buy the part and sell it for $600. How would he get $600? What would be the difference between the old one that he was asking $500 for and one with replaced body. Seems fishy.

If you get a full refund he needs to pay for return shipping.

What about the PayPal route so I can just buy the dang replacement part? He's really firm that he did a great job packing it

983843=56150-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410139298.659014.jpg
>
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410139298.659014.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

He won't get anything from FedEx. They will blame it on inadequate packing. I would bet money on it. Been through this.

tonymission;983843 wrote: What about the PayPal route so I can just buy the dang replacement part? He's really firm that he did a great job packing it

>
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410139298.659014.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
If you go the PayPal dispute route, PayPal will require you to return the skimmer to him and prove it with a tracking number, and you will have to pay for return shipping.

Best strategy, IMO, is to get him to refund your payment and return shipping, if you can, outside of a PayPal dispute. By the time you dispute a PayPal payment, all cooperation and niceness is gone between buyer and seller, IME.

I think I'm going to ask for $275 back and fix it in the meantime and spend the difference to buy the replacement part. That puts me at $550 invested for a pretty good skimmer and I don't have to ship it back, which I would probably get left having to paying.

Which ever route you decide to go with, the fix is one minute two part liquid epoxy and a heat gun.
The epoxy fusses to the the acrylic and seals 100%, the heat gun causes the epoxy to do a rapid dry and a molecular bond.
Good luck, which ever road you travel down.

I can confirm that Reece Supply in Norcross has all the different weld ons you could possibly need and will also sell sheets of acrylic up to 3/4". They are not equipped to cut it to spec, just FYI.

so .. if you fix it you'll be getting a BKMini160 for under $300?
Is the only issue the broken body ?

If so... I don't see how you CAN'T seal those holes with Weldon. It won't be pretty, but it should work without issue...

B

Back