Can I fix this skimmer with Weld on 4 / 16?

Is that PVC T just a standard PVCT? It almost looks like someone tried to put that thing in there and it was a little too big for the hole and it busted it...

I don't think my BK mini has a T like that that has the raised stamp on it....

looks like a DIY job to me (if it matters)

You're safest bet is a refund. BUT ... you won't get a better skimmer for THAT price.. even if it has a crack in it.

IS the block all in good shape.. have you turned it on and such ?

SnowManSnow;983986 wrote: so .. if you fix it you'll be getting a BKMini160 for under $300?
Is the only issue the broken body ?

If so... I don't see how you CAN'T seal those holes with Weldon. It won't be pretty, but it should work without issue...

B

That's correct. I'm about to try it :)

use #4 or #3 to fill the crack. Im most cases this alone will be enough to repair it and be functional.

Personally I would then go over the crack with #16 on the inside just to be sure it wont leak. Wont look too good but it will work fine.

Let it dry for 48 hours then fill it up and let it sit for a day or two. If a leak appears repeat the process.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Do you think I should even use the 16 on the PVC pipe? I'm not sure it was ever all the way secured/adhered in the first place and might be helpful to be able to remove it in the future. Maybe I'll do the cracks first and see if that solves the bubble escape problem.

Anyone have one of these minis and can confirm? Does this pull it with a little twist on yours?

qugy2ese.jpg
alt="" />
9upy3uza.jpg
alt="" />
ha4u3yny.jpg
alt="" />

Can't see how the PVC could be flush on the sides with a rounded surface. It's pretty snug in there. It's flush on top and bottom.

The seller just emailed me back and accepted my $300 refund request to fix it myself. So I'm out $175 on this so far and hopefully the repair works so I don't have to buy the part (for now at least).

The biggest concern is the pump, that's where all the money is. The chamber can be fixed very easy. I'm sure you'll have no problem fixing it.

glxtrix;984015 wrote: The biggest concern is the pump, that's where all the money is. The chamber can be fixed very easy. I'm sure you'll have no problem fixing it.

He's forwarded me correspondence and receipts proving the pump was replaced with OEM in January.

There's no way this doesn't work. Weld on is crazy! Didn't think to have some rags handy on my first go around so of course it ran everywhere. I was a lot cleaner on the inside. I'm going to test without gluing the PVC first. Not sure that really needs it.

zyde5uma.jpg
alt="" />

you're going to love the skimmer.. they run ALMOST absolutely silent

Oddly enough I also bought a used 200 years ago.. when it arrived the block was detached from the acrylic base.. and a corner of the white base was broken..

I also fixed it ha

B

Tony,
In response to your earlier post, the tee is supposed to be welded to the skimmer body. If it is loose, that is not right. Now, I cannot say if being able to wiggle it a bit would affect performance, but BK minis have that part firmly welded. BTW, I owned a BK Mini myself a few years ago.

If you can glue it in place, I would, since it houses the wedge pipe, if I remember correctly. A secure mount of the tee stabilizes the entire skimmer outflow.

Dave, thank you that's very helpful. As is, I can remove it relatively easily. Wasn't sure if that was what we were going for. I'll do that now and should still have a couple day cure time

SnowManSnow;984045 wrote: you're going to love the skimmer.. they run ALMOST absolutely silent

I'm starting to get as excited about it as I was when it first got delivered! I hear it's not super picky either-- doesn't need exact water height although there's a sweet spot I'm sure.

It works!! Just tested in my rock curing bin and no leaks and bubbled up to a nice head immediately. I checked the spec sheets from IPS/weld on and it seems that additional curing is only to achieve greater than 2000 psi pressure. I know I'm sometimes the guy that asks for advice and does what he wants anyway, but do you guys see an issue with any leaching here? Everything seems hard as a rock and I figure worst case would be that id have to do it all over again. I've been without a skimmer so trying to get this going. 24 hours they say it can handle
1700 psi but I'm sure that's in a specific context.

You're fine. The pump is the only thing one needs to be concerned with. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skimmers aren't made to be pretty, they're made to collect crap!

You paid what, $175? The pump is $530 alone. I'd say you made out pretty well.

JDavid;984276 wrote: Skimmers aren't made to be pretty, they're made to collect crap!

You paid what, $175? The pump is $530 alone. I'd say you made out pretty well.

Yessir, pheeeew!
Sump arrangement (after re-plumbing chiller output) forced it to go in with the repairs on the left. For being a "mini" it's still actually pretty big and required some thought to make everything work!

This went from being a really big bummer to an outcome I'm pretty pleased with. Thank you Dave for confirming to weld the PVC T fitting because there's no way you'd be able to dial in the skimmer without that secure. The pipe fitting is pretty tight but I like how it doesn't just jump all over the place, you can make fine adjustments.

Seems to be churning pretty good!! Changing socks will be fun. Might just get rid of them....

Thanks for the help guys!

984308=56185-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410314067.925666.jpg
>
984308=56185-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410314067.925666.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410314067.925666.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Looks good Tony. You still could sell the skimmer if you ever decided to. There are plenty of people that have no problem with a repaired skimmer as long as it works and is priced OK.

Shipping is sometimes the main issue with buying acrylic equipment from other reefers. Some folks don't know how to pack properly for shipping.

Back