Can this tank be drilled?

kstyle13

Market
Reaction score
The 46 gallon I just got I want to drill the back glass. It has the tempered sticker and online I read threw the q and a section and they said it's only tempered on the back and front... but I'm still nervous. Anyone else success drilling a 46 bowfront? We think it's a marineland but not 100 percent sure.

Allen;970016 wrote: If it is tempered you are guaranteed catastrophic failure if you attempt to drill it.

Been there, done that...lol

Supposedly there are many ways to identify whether or not it is tempered (i.e. polarized sun glasses, laptop screens, etc...) A quick google search will turn up a lot of results, but the only true way to find out may result in you needing to buy another tank...

I have had many tanks drilled, but the one that I did not know the manufacturer on was the one that ended up in a million different little pieces...

Yea that's what scares me. I researched marineland and they are bottom and front panel tempered only. Aqueon is bottom and front. I am not sure about oceanic and the other one is sea something and it's a rimless so I know I don't have that one

Aqueon is bottom and front.

I don't completely know about that , I drilled a 40G B Aqueon for picoreefguy on the bottom ( check out his thread) and I did mine on the back. I believe that many manufacturers use different types of glass for different tanks, i.e. not all Aqeons have non tempered in the same spot, there could be a difference between 10G, 40 G and 40 G Breeder.

It's real tricky to say that this will definitely work, and I believe that there aren't many people that will say drill it and it will be safe. I think that most people will say
"Check the glass to see if it tempered and proceed with caution. oh ....and don't blame me if your tank ends up in a million pieces".

Do your research, contact tank manufacturers, if you can find who made your tank, and I wish you the best of luck

The white screen on your phone light and some polarized lens glasses will tell you whether or not you can drill it, Kourtney. I've done it several times and never had a problem. Turn the screen light on your flashlight app on and take the polarized glasses and put them on the other side of the aquarium glass. Slowly turn the glasses and if at any point it blacks-out it means you are good to go to drill it. Go slowly with very little pressure when drilling and let the bit do the work...muscle-up on it and you'll crack it.

J.B.;970028 wrote: The white screen on your phone light and some polarized lens glasses will tell you whether or not you can drill it, Kourtney. I've done it several times and never had a problem. Turn the screen light on your flashlight app on and take the polarized glasses and put them on the other side of the aquarium glass. Slowly turn the glasses and if at any point it blacks-out it means you are good to go to drill it. Go slowly with very little pressure when drilling and let the bit do the work...muscle-up on it and you'll crack it.
Ok so I'm glad to see your still around buddy. :) I remember you telling me that but I couldn't remember every detail. Lol how about I just wait and maybe one day when you have the time I can get you to come over and help. :)

What brand of tank is it? Most are only tempered on the bottom.

Jenn

Call Marineland to find out. Check for a sticker in the trim, usually along the bottom, visible by looking down through the empty tank. There will be a little anchor logo and usually a date or a name. Call them with that, they can tell you if any parts of it are tempered or not.

In my experience, the bottoms are usually tempered, but that's all.

46 gallon - is it a bowfront? AGA and Oceanic made 46 bows, but I don't think Marineland ever did.

JennM;970098 wrote: Call Marineland to find out. Check for a sticker in the trim, usually along the bottom, visible by looking down through the empty tank. There will be a little anchor logo and usually a date or a name. Call them with that, they can tell you if any parts of it are tempered or not.

In my experience, the bottoms are usually tempered, but that's all.

46 gallon - is it a bowfront? AGA and Oceanic made 46 bows, but I don't think Marineland ever did.

Yea i think its a aga

Look for a sticker - that will tell you. AGA usually has a name and a date. Oceanic stopped making those tanks a while back - maybe 5 or 6 years I've lost track. Oceanic tended to have thicker glass and trim. What colour is the trim?

If it's a bowfront I think we've ruled out Marineland, so it's down to AGA and Oceanic. Did it come with a stand? They each fit the other's stands (AGA and Oceanic).

Do you know how old the tank is?

I'm pretty sure Oceanic had those stickers too - and usually they had a logo sticker on the trim that may or may not have survived.

Jenn

The sticker was torn up to almost unreadable. I the only part I could actually piece together was the word danger and the words not drill.

I did some digging last night and the marineland website said they make bowfronts? The trim is black and the guy I got it from said he got it around 5 years ago. He said he thought it was marineland but he's not sure....
udamu8a2.jpg
alt="" />

This is the photo of the tank stand and canopy....

As of right now I want to drill it but I'm not going to unless I'm 100 percent positive I can be done. When I was on the marineland website someone else had asked if the 46 bowfront could be drilled and the company said the back and sides can be drilled but the bottom and front panels are tempered....
From what I read and was able to find there are 4 companies that make the bowfront. Aga, oceanic, marineland, and sea something. But the last one only makes rimless.

I have a Ehiem canister filter on it now. It came with it. But I want to run a sump and refugium instead of the canister. But if I can not drill it then there isn't much I can do to fix the problem. Lol

Hmmm the stand is AGA, the cap is Oceanic (AGA never made a cap for it).

The do not drill is for the bottom for sure, but the back and sides? Who knows?

Silcone on it is black? That makes me think it's Oceanic but I can't be sure.

I found this old thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370954">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370954</a>

Seems that there's no clear answer - the link to Oceanic's website from back then is no good anymore.

Not sure I'd chance it. Too many unknowns.

IIRC, Oceanic tanks are all tempered and cannot be drilled...I may be wrong on this.

Is there a way to do an overflow and sump without drilling? Or do I need to stay with the Ehiem canister

Back