Can Weldon 16 be used to glue/seal pvc?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I have a piece of 3" pvc that I have drilled 2.25" holes in and want to glue several pvc fittings into the holes. Can I use Weldon to glue/seal them in? Has anyone ever used Weldon with pvc?

The normal PVC Cement should work best. I'd use the cleaner first and make sure the edges are free of burrs and smooth to ensure a good seal. What are you making..manifold?

flyingarmy;231107 wrote: The normal PVC Cement should work best. I'd use the cleaner first and make sure the edges are free of burrs and smooth to ensure a good seal. What are you making..manifold?

Normally I would as well, but this isn't a clean fitting. Here is a picture. I want to just glue the connector into the hole in the 3" pvc.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
231113=13702-Sump_DSC04680a_Drain_0810120.jpg
>
231113=13702-Sump_DSC04680a_Drain_0810120.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Sump_DSC04680a_Drain_0810120.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Looks like Uniseals would be better. They are designed for applications like that.

Hmmm, probably too late for that, unless there is a uniseal that matches what I have already drilled. The hole in the pipe is 2.25" and the piece going in is a standard 1.5" pvc connector.

Ace of Spades;231116 wrote: From what I've read, there are other Weld-On products that list PVC as one of their approved surfaces. I think Weld-On 10 is, but it's a two part epoxy.

For the application I'm doing it isn't under pressure, just free flow and may not have to be completely water-tight, so I'm looking to use what I already have: pvc purple primer & cement, Weldon 16, and/or silicone.

i would think if the fitting is pretty tight, you could seal it will silicone and it should keep it from leaking

I just did a test piece with weldon only, so I'll have to let it dry to see if it will actually glue pvc. I'm thinking I'll try primer and cement to hold the pieces together and then silicone if there are any leaks or salt creep.

Skriz;231149 wrote: weldon will work

Raj, have you used Weldon on PVC? On my test piece, it doestn't seem to be etching into the pvc like it does with acrilic. In any case, I went ahead and used purple primer and pvc cement. Unfortunately, it was very messy to do and looks terrible, but as long as it works that's the main thing.

Try using clear PVC cleaner instead of purple primer for better looks. I have pretty much quit using purple primer

There's a special Weldon that's made for bonding acrylic to ABC, PVC, and other plastics. See this page for more details:

http://www.ipscorp.com/industrial/acrylics.html">http://www.ipscorp.com/industrial/acrylics.html</a>

Specifically, it's the 1802 cement. I have some - PM me if you need to use some.

Use Weldon 16 for bonding PVC. It has a pretty low viscosity making it great for sealing small gaps. I've used to to seal bad PVC glue joints(not mine :) , you wouldn't believe how many installs I've cleaned up) and bonding PVC in a pinch. It has worked everytime. Give it plenty of time to cure(follow the directions), as it doesn't cure nearly as fast as PVC cement.

Budsreef;231163 wrote: Raj, have you used Weldon on PVC? On my test piece, it doestn't seem to be etching into the pvc like it does with acrilic. In any case, I went ahead and used purple primer and pvc cement. Unfortunately, it was very messy to do and looks terrible, but as long as it works that's the main thing.

I've used it and it works. It does take it's time to cure though (unlike pvc cement)

mojo;231220 wrote: There's a special Weldon that's made for bonding acrylic to ABC, PVC, and other plastics. See this page for more details:

http://www.ipscorp.com/industrial/acrylics.html">http://www.ipscorp.com/industrial/acrylics.html</a>

Specifically, it's the 1802 cement. I have some - PM me if you need to use some.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Chris, I've already glued it with pvc primer and cement. If it leaks I'll try the weldon 16 first and if that doesn't seal it I'll use silicone.

Dried PVC cement, not bonded with PVC is not a very strong seal. Weldon 16 hardens much more like a plastic than PVC cement by itself, making 16 better for sealing gaps.

Oh, and aquarium silicone will not bond with plastic. There is a silicone for plastics, but I have not tried it.

DannyBradley;231225 wrote: Use Weldon 16 for bonding PVC. It has a pretty low viscosity making it great for sealing small gaps. I've used to to seal bad PVC glue joints(not mine :) , you wouldn't believe how many installs I've cleaned up) and bonding PVC in a pinch. It has worked everytime. Give it plenty of time to cure(follow the directions), as it doesn't cure nearly as fast as PVC cement.

Skriz;231240 wrote: I've used it and it works. It does take it's time to cure though (unlike pvc cement)

Thanks guys, if it leaks I'll try the weldon 16. Since there won't be any pressure on it if there is a problem it will most probably be salt creep not actuall water coming out.

johnr2604;231199 wrote: Try using clear PVC cleaner instead of purple primer for better looks. I have pretty much quit using purple primer

Good idea John, I'll have to check the cleaner out.

Thanks for all the replies, if this works the way I hope it does I'll post pictures later. If not I just have a bunch more glued, usless pvc to add to the pile.

Back