Canopy Fans Cooling Devices

if they spent the money to run 12ga wire through the house to begin with, they would probably have put a 20A breaker on the panel to start with (lets face it.. the breaker isn't the expensive part..)
obviously home run lengths play into consideration..
I'm not an electrician.. but I RARELY have seen 12ga run in a house.. (only one time, and it was because the loading on the circuits was literally 100' away from the panel.. )

if your outlets are wired by pushing the wires into the back of the outlet.. it's 14ga..

IMO.. there are times when the results might be worth the risk... "possibly" burning down your house is definitely NOT one of those times..

Very true about the breaker unless it's a sub-divided room. I seen large living rooms and kitchens split with 2 15 amp breakers. His tank is only feet feet away from the garage and it is a pretty nice pad, 12 ga is not that un-common, is it. I have seen it a lot on some newer larger homes. Anyway, the push in method of wiring is 99% of the fires I have seen. NO GOOD!!! Inevitably, the start shorting between 20-25 years from expansion and contraction. If anyone reads this, please, please check to make sure the wires to you outlets are screwed on the outlet, not striped and slid in the back holes!
Have Dave check it when he comes over. He should be able to figure it out.

Rbredding;630954 wrote: if they spent the money to run 12ga wire through the house to begin with, they would probably have put a 20A breaker on the panel to start with (lets face it.. the breaker isn't the expensive part..)
obviously home run lengths play into consideration..
I'm not an electrician.. but I RARELY have seen 12ga run in a house.. (only one time, and it was because the loading on the circuits was literally 100' away from the panel.. )

if your outlets are wired by pushing the wires into the back of the outlet.. it's 14ga..

IMO.. there are times when the results might be worth the risk... "possibly" burning down your house is definitely NOT one of those times..

I only mention (strip/push) method because 12ga wire wont fit in the back of the receptacle... (so if you see it, you definitely dont have 12ga)

on larger homes, it's slightly more common.. (but again, only for the longer runs)

12ga is (obviously) more expensive than 14ga, is harder to work with (because it's stiffer), and Honestly, unless it's a long run like I said before, most residential electricians wont spend the extra money for it..

first things first...

change the breaker back to 15A...

then, inspect the wire to see if it can handle it..

finally.. replace your 20A breaker if you've got the correct size wire..

Back