Canopy Lights

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was curious to see some of the ways that you guys who have made retrofit kits fit your canopies protect the equipment from salt splash.

I am setting up the 135 FO soon and was wanting a way to protect the light fixtures....These are not fancy lights by any means since it is FO....I am mostly worried about the metal from the fixture rusting....

Just looking for ideas.....

Thanks,
Jorge

A glass or acrylic shield on the fixture can help to protect the lighting.

I'm not sure there is any treatment that will prevent steel from rusting in a hood over salt water. Some solutions will work for a while but water and salt are very persistant buggers and will get in sooner or later. I would suggest using materials that are saltwater resistant to start with. Use stainless steel or nylon for fasteners and fiberglass, stainless steel or anodized aluminum for structural parts. If you must use steel, I think your best protection would be powder coating. Since this is fish only, another option would be to place a plexiglass or glass panel between the lights and the water.

I cant remember that stuff that you can dip your tools into and it creats a plastic rubber type coating, not sure if thats cost effective or just go out and buy a sheet of plexi, like I said the other night I think the sheet of plexi I got was decently priced and I believe it would cover those lights.

Back