Canopy

jfb3

Reaction score
I need to try and build a canopy for a 300 gallon tank. Anyone have any dos/don'ts . I really not looking forward to it but trying to save a buck.

Check out some of the DIY canopy builds on YouTube :). This is the canopy my bf is building:
a>. Its not the usual front door design, pretty cool.

Do.....Contact groupertherapy.
Don't....try to do it yourself.

JK.

How handy are you and what kind of tools do you have?

Here is our frame to the one we're building like the one in the forum link. It's made out of 1x2, we're just doing the front door and not the back like the one in the picture on that link. If this helps you at all.. lol
canopyframe.jpg
alt="" />

Edit: Edit: the one here wasn't screwed/glued together yet that's why the right corner is seperated a little ;)

Edit: Edit: the bottom wasn't screwed together yet that's why there's a a gap in the front corner, not shotty craftsmanship! lol ;)

Edit: ...oops lol I was trying to reword what I put.. lol

This will help a great deal. The typical tools and have table saw and miter saw. Its the how to get srmtarted thats the most
overwhelming. So these pictures will help.
Thank you.....

Jfb3;737155 wrote: This will help a great deal. The typical tools and have table saw and miter saw. Its the how to get srmtarted thats the most
overwhelming. So these pictures will help.
Thank you.....

Welcome :)

I don't know what lights you plan to use, but I would consider a taller canopy. I'm not sure that I have seen anything other than strong halides on a reef tank that big. If you haven't picked out lights yet, I would suggest waiting on the canopy build because the lights should play into the design of the canopy a great deal.

Ive got mh with spider reflectors. Was thinking to make it 12inches tall. What you think.

Back