Cant catch hawk fish

sra_chipmunk

Market
Reaction score
I can not catch my spotted hawk fish. I have tried the 2 liter bottle trap, that didnt work. I tried a breeding net with some food, that didnt work and now I just spent the past hour with my hands in the tank with 3 different nets trying to catch this little ******* and hes to fast. I cant pull the rock out because there is to much life on it. Does anyone know a different wat to catch this guy. If I didnt love my other fish and corals, I would just throw a few bleech tablets in there and watch the little ******* die.

wait at night with all lights out. Then put all your lights on him quicly, while he is stunned, catch him in a net.

I have had very good luck with this trap....
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9048">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9048</a>

I've been able to catch quite a few fish by baiting with food.

good luck!

I will try to locate him sleeping in the tank tonight.

I dont want him because he has eaten 2 of my peppermint shrimp and 1 of my skunk cleaner shrimp.

Barbara;230336 wrote: What kind of hawkfish? I really want a Pixie Hawk but I've waited over 2 years and not put one in the tank b/c I'm afraid even they are too much for the inverts. Is your Hawk a Pixie, or a larger one?

Here is a pic i took of him a few months back
hawk.jpg
alt="" />

I have a flame hawk that's living quite peaceably with a skunk cleaner shrimp. They were living together at the LFS and they have done fine at my place too. I know that doesn't help you catch your fish, but maybe someday you'll find a nice hawkfish that will not eat your shrimp. :)

It's a Falco's Hawk, and that is the main reason why I won't put a hawk in my display... Just eat stuff...

dawgdude;230386 wrote: Hawks are in the same book as triggers for eating inverts and once zmans gets larger, It WILL eat the shrimp.

Maybe... but maybe not. How long does it take for a flamehawk to *get bigger*? Mine's well over a year old and I would think he's full grown. He lives peacefully in my 90g with shrimp and has for quite some time.

I think fish are sometimes like people. Unique in their personalities and not always true to their stereotypes.

Linda Lee;230431 wrote: Mine's well over a year old and I would think he's full grown. He lives peacefully in my 90g with shrimp and has for quite some time.

Just don't go out of town for a couple of weeks and not feed the tank! I'm sure your is well fed and gets his food on a regular basis. I think fish are basically lazy and will always take the easier food when available. Cut off the food supply and they will become opportunistic and revert.
Back on the topic... any luck cathcing the bad boy?

I tried to spot him sleeping in the tank last night but I have no clue where he sleeps. I checked around every visable area I could and couldnt find him.

I got him finally. After staring at the tank for hours and watching him mock me and lauch in my face, I got fed up and got him. I used a 2 leter bottle trap, a big piece of acrylic, 3 fish nets and a tooth brush.

once I had all the unneeded rock out, and all the pieces were in place, It litterally took me 5 minutes to catch him, since it worked so well, I went ahead and got my blue damsel out as well.

Linda Lee;230431 wrote: Maybe... but maybe not. How long does it take for a flamehawk to *get bigger*? Mine's well over a year old and I would think he's full grown. He lives peacefully in my 90g with shrimp and has for quite some time.

I think fish are sometimes like people. Unique in their personalities and not always true to their stereotypes.

Just wait. I have found that people who have hawks Love them so much that they refuse to see the obvious. Shrimp disappear, and they say "they died naturally" or "they were old". Hawkfish (especially flames) are wicked predators, and will murder shrimp, snails, and crabs. Its only a matter of time.

I know the hawk killed the 2 peppermint shrimp. I have removed EVERY rock in the tank months ago looking for them and recently he killed my skunk shrimp but only ate half of him.

Back