Carbon

I use AquaMaxx Carbon, just because it was the cheapest option the last time I bought some.

Thanks Grant a d Brandon.
Something I don't pay attention to when buying.

Got a question about AquaMaxx*Carbon, and AquaMaxx*GFO.
Can i put both in the same reactor.

Fishlips;1068330 wrote: Got a question about AquaMaxx*Carbon, and AquaMaxx*GFO.
Can i put both in the same reactor.

Yes, I do. You will just use a lot more GFO since you will replace it when you do your carbon. I change mine out every couple weeks. The purpose of running them separately is that GFO typically lasts a bit longer than GAC, so separate reactors will actually save you some money in the long run. I just don't have the space for 2.

Thanks Grant.I don't have 2 either. But I guess I should buy another one.

Not all carbon is created equal. It all contains phosphate but high quality carbon made for aquarium use, has the least amount of phosphate.

The cheap stuff is usually made for air filters, and it's re-labeled for aquarium use. Some has small pores that isn't that effective.

And there are some studies that link carbon fines to HLLE... that's a whole other thread.

Carbon is good, for the most part, but the kind of carbon you use does matter.

Jenn

invest in a quality carbon. I learned this the hard way. I was using some cheap brand that is sold at petsmart and as a result have been having a TERRIBLE green hair algae problem.. for a long time I couldn't quite figure out why but, I firmly believe it was because of my carbon..

Just my $0.02

Back