Cell Cast Acrylic Sheet - Price Quote

rededge2k1

Supporting
Reaction score
Thought I would share a price quote I got this morning from Piedmont Plastics (Lawrenceville, GA) for 1/4" cell cast acrylic. They only sell it by the full sheet, which is 50"x99" and the price is $224, customer pickup.

-Dustin

Thanks for the info. Seems like an odd dimension for a sheet. I would think 48 x 96, but what do I know?

Wonder what 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 costs? $$$$$$$$$$

Derek_S;309076 wrote: Thanks for the info. Seems like an odd dimension for a sheet. I would think 48 x 96, but what do I know?

Yeah I asked for a quote for a 4'x4' sheet but was told they only sell full sheets and the standard size is 50x99. Weird.

Depends on how you design it (types of bracing, placement of baffles, etc), but on the safe side I'd use 3/8 for the outer walls. You could possible get away with 1/4, if designed well. Maybe copy an existing design if you really want to DIY.

Honestly, IMO working with acrylic is a lot harder than you might think. It requires some skill and knowledge. I'm not sure your capabilities or what-not, but if it were me personally, I'd probably get a quote on an MRC sump before I decided to build my own completely out of acrylic.

Either that, or use an existing tank and just make my own baffles (as I did).

Derek is right on here... For the money you will spend on the sheet, it might just be better to avoid the headache and have MRC build you one. They will design what you want custom and for a pretty good price. Especially if you do not know how to work with the material. I would hate to spend $300 on a sheet only to mess it up. If it was a small project then I would say go for it but if a sump fails because your welds are not perfect then that is going to be a massive thing. Building your first overflow box or look down box is one thing, an entire sump is not for the faint of heart.

But if I were to do it, I would use 3/8 or 1/2.

1/2" would be WAY overkill and really, really expensive.

1/4" is fine so long as there are no long spans (such as the sidewalls) without bracing (euro bracing, bubble trap baffles, etc).

ares;309192 wrote: with that said, working with acrylic is very very difficult. without a CNC router or laser your cuts will not be exact. you will end up caking it in weldon 16 and wasting alot of acrylic.

That is not true at all. Besides my personal experience and having never heard (or even read) about anyone using CNC tools to make sumps, an 80t blade on a table saw (with the blade set to the highest depth) will make clean cuts easily. On top of that, you make the piece a little long and then use a router & flush trim bit to make everything flush in the end.

A lot lies in the DIY'ers ability to work with tools, but no sense in scaring people away from this, it's not THAT difficult.

Thanks for the info, will consider your suggestions. I'm very lucky to have a husband that, if he can see it or read it, can do just about anything. We have been remodeling a house for the last 10 years. He just finished making a stand for my new 30g coral tank. He likes a challenge but starting with something smaller may be the best way to go. I have 8 tanks and a new sump for a small one might give him some experence. We have found the ARC forum very helpful and the people great! Thanks again, Holley

I would go with 3/8 and not 1/4. I used 1/4 and my sides and inside baffles both bow some.

See my build...
showthread.php

RedEDGE2k1;309205 wrote: That is not true at all. Besides my personal experience and having never heard (or even read) about anyone using CNC tools to make sumps...

MRC uses a CNC to make sumps :)

Holley, since you you are in L'ville you might can stop by MRC to look around. Last time I was there I was invited in for a brief tour. Very cool to see where the magic happens.

Skriz;309268 wrote: MRC uses a CNC to make sumps :)

I didn't say nobody uses them, I just said I have never seen it done. I have, however, read hundreds of DIY build threads involving table saws & acrylic sheets.

RedEDGE2k1;309301 wrote: I didn't say nobody uses them, I just said I have never seen it done. I have, however, read hundreds of DIY build threads involving table saws & acrylic sheets.

You said you've never heard or read about anyone using a CNC to make them; that's what i was referecing.

Nonetheless, you can use a table saw to cut acrylic and make a sump. Your end result will depend on the accuracy and cleanliness of your cuts, your acrylic skills and your glue. Point is, it CAN be done.

Does MRC build custom acrylic chambers/boxes?

I need something really small.

Acroholic;309468 wrote: I think my MRC sump is made out of 3/8" acrylic. Kicks butt!:D
Dave

That would be correct. My favorite quote was at MACNA when House of Fins saw our sumps for the first time. "Whoa, look, they don't flex when you pick them up."

DannyBradley;309496 wrote: That would be correct. My favorite quote was at MACNA when House of Fins saw our sumps for the first time. "Whoa, look, they don't flex when you pick them up."

Tim was throwing that thing around, and sitting on it the whole time. It was ridiculous

Back