Cherokee Co. Salt water tank aficionado

williamc

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I am new in this beautiful hobby. I have a nano 20gl with some live rock, clown tomato, yellow tang, coral beauty, and bubble coral. I do not have a protein skimmer.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Is it necessary to have a protein skimmer in a nano tank and if it is, what do you recommend?</span></span>
<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman';">Thanks:help: </span>

couple things.

with that many large fish you should have one.

i would get rid of the yellow tang no tangs in a tank less the 4ft, 6ft would be better.

what kind of nano is this? do you have the correct lighting for the coral?

http://www.aquacave.com/octopus-hang-on-backbr-protein-skimmer-hb-100-495.html">http://www.aquacave.com/octopus-hang-on-backbr-protein-skimmer-hb-100-495.html</a>

or [IMG]http://www.aquacave.com/aquac-remora-protein-skimmerbr-with-maxi-jet-1200-pump-908.html">http://www.aquacave.com/aquac-remora-protein-skimmerbr-with-maxi-jet-1200-pump-908.html</a>

Funny you mention that......have you been to the site?

We have been talking about it and wanted to invite the ARC to to CRC TOT's

we are planning who and where.....there is about 15 solid members there and that could be fun....

so, yes that is and will happen...

Todd

now come over and join us on the forum.....everyone is welcome....I thought more would have been curious about it...fun place to hange out..

Heck we even have members from South Africa on the forum now.

At any time you could see at least 3 tanks..Mine, Simon's, anmd Doug's without a TOT..and you could visit Imagine Ocean too....

Stop by the site..it starting to pick up and we are having some fun..

William, welcome to the ARC and please keep the questions coming!

I concur with what others have said about the protein skimmer and the tang.

Another good reference is:

http://www.nanotank.com/forum/portal.php">NanoTank.com</a> and we have a new special interest forum called [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108">Nano Reefs</a> which you may find helpful.

<span style="font-size: 11px;">[B][ Could a moderator move this thread to the Nano Reefs forum? ][/B]</span>

Honestly, with even one of those fish, no less all three, I would say get a protein skimmer. Othwerwise, your tank will be covered in algae in short order. Even with a PS, it will likely cover with algae. I would seriously reconsider your stock list.

The problem with a skimmer on a nano is that unless you have a sump you will need an HOB...and they usually are not that great. I don't think mine does much for me.

Post some pics of your tank...I'm durious what a 20g long setup as a reef looks like.

LorenK;155923 wrote: The problem with a skimmer on a nano is that unless you have a sump you will need an HOB...and they usually are not that great. I don't think mine does much for me.

Post some pics of your tank...I'm durious what a 20g long setup as a reef looks like.

I used to have an AquaC Remora HOB and it rocked! Great Skimmer for the size.

Bleedingthought;155912 wrote: Well, here are my thoughts:

I don't think skimmers are necessary for nanos. Bioloads on nanos (20 gallons and under) are typically small. I had one (5 gallon reef) for a little over a year and I just kept up with the water changes. Once a week or even better, twice a week. I did 50% water changes. Some people aren't comfortable with that big of a water change and I don't know why. I've done 100% water changes with no problems as long as you match the crucial levels (temp, PH, salinity).

With that said, in my opinion, the only fish on your list suited to be in that tank is the clown. The other fish would benefit a lot more from a bigger tank. Not only are they incredibly active fish, they are also big grazers. You are not providing much for them in a 20 gallon. They are also big contributors to a bioload which would negate my first statement about no skimmers on nanos.
I would disagree under the pretense that skimmers are not tools used to remove FISH waste, they are used to remove organic waste. That comes from corals, inverts, bacteria, etc.

In my opinion, I wouldnt set up any permanent tank without a skimmer.

Well I am with T....on this....

I have 3 tanks...my 12G nano....set up for over 3 years - NEVER had or will have a skimmer.

My 25G set up for over 5 years now..Never had or will have a skimmer

My 90G with a 300G sump.......Never had a working skimmer for over 2 years....Finally got one and not sure it does anything at all.....

What I am saying is you MAY NOT need one......You be the judge....Don't listen to everyone because not one person here has the exact same tank or run it the exact same way...Period....

Aquarium keeping is a science....and you may be the next leader of technology..so forge some ground on your own......and NEVER listen to the word of others until you have all the facts and have done your research yourself....just like you are doing now.

Only then can you decide if what is being said is the truth or just sheep following the pack.

I have a 20H with a CPR BakPak skimmer. It is not the greatest skimmer, but it does a decent enough job. I also do 5 gallon water changes every 2 weeks. I get a little build up on the glass by the time the water change is due, if I don't clean the glass at least once. The weird thing in my system is that the only spot I see hair algae grow is on my hydor flo on my MJ 900. So, I just scrub it down real good every two weeks as I do the water change. I also have an AC70 filter that I converted into a mini fuge with some Chaeto in it.

I think the combination of a decent skimmer and water changes are the key in a 20g tank.

washowi;156005 wrote: Well I am with T....on this....

I have 3 tanks...my 12G nano....set up for over 3 years - NEVER had or will have a skimmer.

My 25G set up for over 5 years now..Never had or will have a skimmer

My 90G with a 300G sump.......Never had a working skimmer for over 2 years....Finally got one and not sure it does anything at all.....

What I am saying is you MAY NOT need one......You be the judge....Don't listen to everyone because not one person here has the exact same tank or run it the exact same way...Period....

Aquarium keeping is a science....and you may be the next leader of technology..so forge some ground on your own......and NEVER listen to the word of others until you have all the facts and have done your research yourself....just like you are doing now.

Only then can you decide if what is being said is the truth or just sheep following the pack.

I knew I would hear from you on this one. I have never seen Todds tanks, but everyone who has says they are gorgeous. SO, Todd is an example of a very positive skimmerless tank.

I can only comment on what I have seen. 99.999% of the skimmereless tanks I have seen have been atrocious. Coverd in algae, unhealthy livestock, etc. Was this due exclusively to the lack of a skimmer probably not. But, I cannot understand why people will not takle the extra step to ensure clean water. I cannot see the downside to it. But that is just my opinion.

I think water temperature has alot to do with algae ........

We are having this same discussion over on CRC, I seem to be the abnormal one on this.....Most people have there tanks in the 80's..

My 25G sitting right next to me at this very minute is at 71.4 degrees.

My 90 is at 75 degrees and my 12G is at 76 degrees....

Thats what I think? But who knows....that's the fun part of this hobby...experimentation.

<span style="color: black;">Thanks every one for the valuable lessons. I think my tank has enough of LR. I am still considering add a PS. I love my yellow tang and the coral beauty. I will hate to let them go. On the other hand, I do not want them to die. Is anybody willing to trade these two residents of my tank?</span>
<span style="color: black;">I will post some pics of my first tank really soon.</span>

My current 75g system has run without a skimmer for over three years and all my sps are colorful. The down side to using a skimmer is plankton removal which has a negative effect on most of the life in our tanks, also it uses electricity and adds heat.
I don't think you need one on a small tank but you will have an algae problem with all those fish. Check out nano-reef.com they have some good beginner articles. I wouldn't mention the tang on that site though.

Back