Chiller Help

sbmille2

Supporting
Reaction score
Have a 2 HP chiller on my system and the fan is starting to sounds awful when it cranks on. Anyone know who i would call to come and service this? HVAC guy said it's probably more of an appliance person. Figured someone here may know someone or potentially be able to help. Thanks

I imagine its nit that complicated. Maybe just a worn out fan or something clogged with dust. Pm me, we will figure it out.
Chris c

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

I have a question. It's January, I see you said 2hp so I'm guessing it's a pretty big system, but it's January... What do you keep your thermostat in your house set to that you need the chiller this time of year?

I would think it's one of three things.
Something has shifted and hitting the fan.
The fan has a lot of buildup dust and dirt on it making it way out of balance.
A bearing and/or the fan motor is shot and going out.

I have a question. It's January, I see you said 2hp so I'm guessing it's a pretty big system, but it's January... What do you keep your thermostat in your house set to that you need the chiller this time of year?

My thoughts exactly... A 2hp! Lol its almost an impressive size.

System is 700 gallons and about half of the water is in an unconditioned basement. My tank stays around 75-76 degrees years round and on cold cold days sometimes the several heaters that cut on get it just above 76 so the chiller briefly cuts on to get it back. Because of the amount of volume me in an unconditioned space i have to over compensated with heathers and this large of a chiller to make sure my tank temp always is pretty consistent no matter the weather is.

I imagine its nit that complicated. Maybe just a worn out fan or something clogged with dust. Pm me, we will figure it out.
Chris c

sent you a pm. would love some help!

System is 700 gallons and about half of the water is in an unconditioned basement. My tank stays around 75-76 degrees years round and on cold cold days sometimes the several heaters that cut on get it just above 76 so the chiller briefly cuts on to get it back. Because of the amount of volume me in an unconditioned space i have to over compensated with heathers and this large of a chiller to make sure my tank temp always is pretty consistent no matter the weather is.
I usually keep my systems at 77-78. My Apex turns the heaters on at 77.5 and off at 78. Even if your heater cuts off at 76 why would you use a chiller to cool it back down? I'm kinda confused.

Is it a reef tank?

I've cleaned a few chillers btw. Not sure where you live but its not terribly hard.

I have a 1/2hp Tradewinds as a backup for the frag system. But a single fan blowing across the sump would amaze you how well evaporative cooling works and might keep you from using the chiller at all. That would save a good bit of electricity.

I've cleaned a few chillers btw. Not sure where you live but its not terribly hard.

I have a 1/2hp Tradewinds as a backup for the frag system. But a single fan blowing across the sump would amaze you how well evaporative cooling works and might keep you from using the chiller at all. That would save a good bit of electricity.
sent you a message.

So just found out my chiller fan motor is burnt out! Anyone have any experience in appliance repair that'd be able to help me out here. trying to avoid having to buy another large chiller before my tank really needs it this summer! The model is a pacific coast imports c2500 which is a 2hp chiller. I have a picture of the fan motor but it's not really that accessible! It's also not very accessible to take the motor out. I would need probably 2 or 3 people to help take it off the system to be able to truly take it apart. more than happy to compensate275026185_5206023976098888_8523462530656483383_n.jpg for peoples time.

It doesn't look like Pacific Coast Imports is still in business.

You're going to need to find the fan before anything can be done.
This is about all I can find on it.

The model is listed about half way down the page. There's a small print with the dimensions of the housing.
Take that info into a Grainger and see if you can find a suitable replacement.

Back