Chillers

bob betzel

Reaction score
I just upgraded from a 105 gallon with VHO's to a 185 with two 250 watt metal halides and two CF actinics. I have a 1/5 hp inline chiller that now isn't doing the job. I guess I need a 1/3 hp and am wondering if the drop-in type would be workable or should I continue with an inline? Any input or suggestions as to manufacturers will be appreciated.

I've never used a drop in, but I'm very happy with my CSL 1/3 hp chiller I've got on my 200g tank. Brought my temps down from 87 to 77 no problem.

Id be willing to buy your 1/5 :) lol Hopefully you might be able to work it out without buy another though...

Bob, I have a 1/3 chiller on my 180 gal. It is best to buy the biggest chiller you can afford so that the chiller won't have to be on all the time (save on utility bill).

I recommend the drop in due to eases of maintenance, not having to worry about the pipes freeze or clogged from algea.

purpleGORILLA;101851 wrote: Bob, I have a 1/3 chiller on my 180 gal. It is best to buy the biggest chiller you can afford so that the chiller won't have to be on all the time (save on utility bill).

Actually - I'd going to respectfully disagree with this one. Because of the cycling of the compressor and such, it's best to size a chiller best for the tank. Otherwise, you may get a shorter life out of the compressor over time... Also, a 1/2 hp chiller will run roughly half as much as a 1/4 hp chiller, so you probably won't save any money on your utility bill - if it runs less, but takes more power to run, then you're breaking even.

However.... buying a chiller that's slightly oversized is normally a good thing... That way, you can handle very hot days, etc.

Back