Chipped glass - is it over?

chibils

Supporting
Reaction score
I just chipped the glass on the top corner of my tank a few minutes ago. Is it salvageable, or a guaranteed disaster waiting to strike?

Side view
PXL_20230119_194604405.jpg

Front view
PXL_20230119_194541252.jpg

You are into the silicone, I would not feel comfortable. The higher the break the less pressure on the glass, but I would not feel comfortable since you are far into the silicone. What size is the tank?

You are into the silicone, I would not feel comfortable. The higher the break the less pressure on the glass, but I would not feel comfortable since you are far into the silicone. What size is the tank?
It's a Nuvo SR-60 from Innovative Marine.

I am absolutely gutted since I've only had it for about 5 weeks. I haven't even added any corals, and the only two fish are the ones that were living in the tank when I bought it.

Edit: 36 x 24 x 16. I'd estimate the water height at about 14".

Second pic shows what appears to be a crack pointing from the corner down and to the right at about 30 degrees. If that is indeed a crack it could spread across the face of the glass. If that bit is just a smudge the rest of the crack looks self contained.

It's a Nuvo SR-60 from Innovative Marine.

I am absolutely gutted since I've only had it for about 5 weeks. I haven't even added any corals, and the only two fish are the ones that were living in the tank when I bought it.

Edit: 36 x 24 x 16. I'd estimate the water height at about 14".
I am so sorry to hear that.. The good is that its only 16" tall so not a HUGE tank, but that is still a lot of pressure on that silicone. What dropped on it? I am sorry you are dealing with this and I hate that the news I said was not what you wanted to hear, but I don't want to see 40+ gallons of water on your floor and dead animals.

After another visual inspection, the crack does look self contained. What you may be seeing is a cat hair, because no matter how hard I try I can never seem to get rid of that stuff.
Second pic shows what appears to be a crack pointing from the corner down and to the right at about 30 degrees. If that is indeed a crack it could spread across the face of the glass. If that bit is just a smudge the rest of the crack looks self contained.

I just had one replaced under warratny that came like that.... Held water for 6 weeks no problem..

It's a gamble, but i'm guessing you'll be okay.

DO go buy a large plastic tub and an airstone just in case....

I am so sorry to hear that.. The good is that its only 16" tall so not a HUGE tank, but that is still a lot of pressure on that silicone. What dropped on it? I am sorry you are dealing with this and I hate that the news I said was not what you wanted to hear, but I don't want to see 40+ gallons of water on your floor and dead animals.
Since I don't even have an ATO on the tank yet, I've been topping off manually twice a day from a glass carafe. The edge caught the edge of the tank and caused the chip.

I just had one replaced under warratny that came like that.... Held water for 6 weeks no problem..

It's a gamble, but i'm guessing you'll be okay.

DO go buy a large plastic tub and an airstone just in case....
I have the 20g Brute can standing by just in case. Should be plenty to fit some rock and two clownfish.

Since I don't even have an ATO on the tank yet, I've been topping off manually twice a day from a glass carafe. The edge caught the edge of the tank and caused the chip.
That stinks.. but yeah glass will crack glass. I would switch over to plastic for sure. I would reach out to IM, let them know what you did see if they will discount a tank for you.

I wouldn't worry about a chip in the upper corner unless it looked like a crack that might spread.
This is how I'm dealing with it... For now. It drives me nuts every time I see it, but it hasn't shown any sign of spreading and it's well above the water line. Just watching and praying for now.

Sorry off track but the expressions on the clowns are epic. They are concerns and not sure about the tank!!🤣
That was the first thing I saw as well! 🤣

Sorry to hear about the tank OP. I wouldn't run that tank unless it was in a concrete basement.

Btw you may try the think that seals up car windshield. I've never tried it but sounds legit.. depends on your tank value, it may not worth to fix.

Sorry off track but the expressions on the clowns are epic. They are concerns and not sure about the tank!!🤣
I wish I could give them that much credit... They saw me bent over by the glass and thought I might feed them! 🥺

Could you just drill the ends of the cracks to keep them from spreading and just keep going? I know that is what have done in acrylic fixtures in the past.

Back