Chipped Glass On Tank...please Advise.

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I found a really good deal on a really big tank (I just couldn’t help myself). I was all set to go pick this baby up this weekend when the seller calls me with a problem. She noticed a small chip on the inside of the tank. This glass is probably close to an inch thick and the chip is about 1/16 in deep and the size of a quarter. In fact it’s more of a sliver. The chipped part is still attached to the glass. The tank holds water fine…no leaks and apparently has been like this for a while.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><u>Is this something I should be concerned about?</u></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><u>Should I fill it in with something or just leave it alone?</u></span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I told her to hold up till I talked to my ARC buddies about it.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">So what do you think?</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Any advice would be most appreciated :thanks: </span></span>

Hi Chris,

Ask her to see if the chip looks like a sea shell (wavy lines fanning out). If so its because the tank has had a localized impact on that spot. From the words of my brother who was a glacier, it'll break the next time it is hit hard. Guess what i dont think you are intending on hitting the tank and it was probably caused by a piece of falling LR. If the chip is not visible to you, I'd not worry about it to much. Do transport the tank carefully though. I'd ask for a discount ;-)

Just so you know the surface of the glass is the structural strength of the glass. Thus the glass is potentially weaker.

I hope this helps.

Simon.Kruger;212230 wrote: Hi Chris,

Ask her to see if the chip looks like a sea shell (wavy lines fanning out). If so its because the tank has had a localized impact on that spot. From the words of my brother who was a glacier, it'll break the next time it is hit hard. Guess what i dont think you are intending on hitting the tank and it was probably caused by a piece of falling LR. If the chip is not visible to you, I'd not worry about it to much. Do transport the tank carefully though. I'd ask for a discount ;-)

Just so you know the surface of the glass is the structural strength of the glass. Thus the glass is potentially weaker.

I hope this helps.

Yes...I am sure that is what happened. Can I fill it with silicone or something to help minimize the chances of another hit...breaking it?

you can put a small drop of silicon in the chip and then gently re-attach the loose piece. however it will add no major structural strengthening.

where is the chip? will it be visible.

The chip is on the back glass about 10" from the bottom almost to the corner. So...it can be hidden easily by scaping.

I work in the automotive feild and I know that windsheild repair guys can fill in cracks and stuff with something to keep them from spreading. I didnt know if there was a similar product that might work here.

I'd honestly put a piece of scotch tape over it and forget it. It can't be that bad right?

I'm kidding by the way.

ares;212280 wrote: if the crack is spidering, its finished. if it isnt, it should be ok.

specially if it is 1" thick. though I somehow doubt it is. 175g shouldnt require anything close to 1" unless this is braceless.

Just guessing...you are probably right!

dawgdude;212292 wrote: I guess the main thing is that a crack and a chip are two different things. I would request a close up picture and a larger picture showing the area and post them. If it is 1" glass and its that shallow AND there isnt any spidering (cracks radiating out from the central point) then you are fine. If it is an impact with spidering then the glass is not gonna hold up to any major stress and I wouldnt risk 175g tank for saving a few hundred when there are other great deals out there. See if you can get some pics of it so we can see the chip better. Also, make sure you look very closely down the edge of the glass, if you can clearly see where the chip is and see anything deeper than 1/16" I wouldnt fool with it.

Thanks Charlie.
She is suppose to be sending me a pic later today. I will post it ASAP.

Steve;212308 wrote: I'd honestly put a piece of scotch tape over it and forget it. It can't be that bad right?

I'm kidding by the way.

Duct tape right!!

Hey,
I read a post on another site where you can take a couple of square peices of glass and silicone a peice on each side of a cracked tank.

Looks like that might be a good preventative measure to take even if I do decide to hook up.

is it possible that if it is not spidering that he can drill the tank in that spot and make it a drain?

blind1993;212351 wrote: is it possible that if it is not spidering that he can drill the tank in that spot and make it a drain?

Even better, a closed loop! This tank just wants to have an awesome circulation system. It chipped itself on purpose.

blind1993;212351 wrote: is it possible that if it is not spidering that he can drill the tank in that spot and make it a drain?

Hmm... is that really an option? I dont know anything about closed loop set-ups. But an option like this my give me peice of mind. I am in no rush to get it set up. I am interested to here more about this possibility
Thanks!

BASSCYN;212414 wrote: Hmm... is that really an option? I dont know anything about closed loop set-ups. But an option like this my give me peice of mind. I am in no rush to get it set up. I am interested to here more about this possibility
Thanks!
yay i actually helped someone.

This chip is pretty close to the edge. So it may not be a good place to drill.

Pics are suppose to be on the way.
I will post'em up when I get'em

Thanks for the help!!!

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Ok…here it is!</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">This is a side image. The chip is not on the back as I thought.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I can’t access my photo site to post an enlarged image from work. I will repost tonight. I just wanted to get it out there.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Apparently the inside corners of this tank have these black molding like strips inserted. This chip does NOT go all the way to the corner…but as you can see by the salt, water does get under the molding but is stopped by the seal. It does not leak from this spot.</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">From right to left you see the width of the back glass (approx 1”) then the sealant where the side glass is attached and then the black corner molding.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">There does not appear to be any spidering from this chip. </span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I am no expert but this looks like something that could easily be filled.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">As you can probably tell, I am trying to talk myself IN to this…not out of it. This is a really good deal and I love the bow front design. Kind of rare to find one this big. If it’s doable…I would like to do it. But if its not…I won’t.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I await your expert advice!</span></span>

Back