Clam and SPS with T5s

tsunami

Market
Reaction score
So I've just made the switch to T5s and I would like to know what everybodythinks when it comes to T5s being able to support Clams and SPS. I have 4 HO 58 watt 10k bulbs and 4 HO 58 watt Actinics (4 ft long) on a 75 gallon tank. A total of 464 watts or 6 watts per gallon. I know par is better, but I don't have a meter. The tank is a standard 75 and the SPS would be mid to high level placement and the clam will probably be on the floor. So what do ya'll think? Is it possible?

Man you can keep anything you want in there. I only have 5 bulbs and I have crazy fast growth on my sps and clams. I even grow sps on the sandbed with no problem. Granted mine are overdriven, but 3 more bulbs is better than 5 that are overdriven. You're in good shape. The only concern might be that if the bulbs are the Current bulbs that come with most systems you may want to change them eventually. I found that the Current bulbs really didn't have as much par as other brands.

Thanks Future. What kind of bulbs do you use and where do you get them from?

yeah youll be fine im overdriving 4 out of the 6 i have..how the hell did you dit eight bulbs in a 75 ....i could only fir 7

I've got 8 over a 200g tank, overdriven with 2 660's. It's a 30" tall tank and there are two large clams on the bottom doing great.

i have a question do you have retro kits or do you have a fixture and if so do they have individual reflectors

lol the question was for tsunami but thatas cool what is your bulb configuration

i have 8 over a 75 and they are not overdriven. you will do fine with the 8 lights take a look at this other guys par reading with just 6 lights on a 4*' 90 gallon
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
114502=7013-fijiblue.jpg
>
114502=7013-fijiblue.jpg
class="gc-images" title="fijiblue.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

an ice cap660 is for 440 watts the bulb is made for 54 watts so you add 4 bulbs thats 216 watts getting pushed beyond there limits ..thats what over driving means because your actually making that bulb push almost to 110 watts

you shorten the life of the bulb but wwe will end up changing them out before it ever gets to that point

Sorry, but I don't think I understand-- if it is a 70 watt fixture, putting a 90 in it ? or something like that?

if you are refering to sargent 3000 .......he means he has an 8 bulb fixture over his 75 gal...and they are not over driven ...and that the other guy has 6 bulb fixture on his 4 foot 90 gal tank

I wasn't referring to any particular fixture--but--I just didn't and still don't know what constitutes being " overdriven"--sorry for being so unknowledgable about this-but still dont understand the concept I guess.

ericmcj31;114554 wrote: Sorry, but I don't think I understand-- if it is a 70 watt fixture, putting a 90 in it ? or something like that?

No, the other way around, If the bulb is designated at 70watts and you run it on a ballast that will make the bulb use up 90 watts, The numbers are a little exagerated but you get the idea.

you just making the bulb work harder ...its like getiing a 250 watt mh bulb and using a 400 watt ballast it will work but only for a while ...but it works alot longer with t5 bulbs

oh, ok--I got it--so what is the benefit to that?? Do you get more light out of it?

Back