Clam feeding references

jmaneyapanda

Sponsor
Reaction score
Well, I could not find the actual hard copy of the papers I was speaking of, but I did find the reference. You should be able to easily find them on google or scholar.google.com. Here are the most pertinent two:

D.W. Klumpp and C.L. Griffiths. 1994. Contributions of Phototrophic and Heterotrophic nutrition to the Metabolic and Growth Requirements of four species of giant clam (Tridacnidae). Marine Ecology Progress Series</em> 115:103-115.

D.W. Klumpp and J.S. Lucas. 1994. Nutritional Ecology of the Giant Clam Tridacna teveroa </em>and T. derasa</em> from Tonga: Influence of light on filter feeding and photosynthesis. Marine Ecology Progress Series</em> 107: 147-156.

I hope this helps to clear up some confusion or debate.

I'm having trouble keeping my small T. maxima up on my rock work near the light. I don't know how it does it but I keep finding it down in the sand. Are there any secrets to keeping them put. I know the T. derasa's can live on the sand but will my maxima be ok without a hard surface to attach to? My tank's 20" deep and I'm running a 250w hqi 12hours a day. Thanks
Merlin-

Actually, I think it might be ok in the sand. Just bear in mind, usually, the more light, the better. He's "jumping", because he's unhappy with the conditions in that spot. Maybe the water flow, or the light, or something. I trick is to put him in the sand, with a small peice of rubble rock below the sand underneath him. He should reach down and grab that. Then you can just move the piece of rubble rock to wherever you want.

I have a Maxima that is in the sand and he iis attached to a dead peice of "blue coral". I just put sand over that and he doesn't move.

calireefer wrote: I'm having trouble keeping my small T. maxima up on my rock work near the light. I don't know how it does it but I keep finding it down in the sand. Are there any secrets to keeping them put. I know the T. derasa's can live on the sand but will my maxima be ok without a hard surface to attach to? My tank's 20" deep and I'm running a 250w hqi 12hours a day. Thanks
Merlin-
In my opinion, maximas and croceas are more accustomed to living on the rockwork, as they are found bored into coral heads and bommies on the reef. That being said, small maximas are notorious for hopping and falling from your choice location; my advice is to put the clam in a container where water can circulate with some flat rocks until it attatches.

Back