clam keeping for dummies vol. 1

you can call LFS's and see if they have any clam shells, that or some of your local reefers might. 1st post has been updated with a short bio on the 4 main Tridacna clam types

cool, i think i will eventually get a maxima! What are the price tags generally like on these guys?

I wouldnt recommend maximas as a first clam. They are easily the most sensitive (and prone to failure). Probably a derasa or squamosa would be better starters. But anyone who feels confidant can keeps maximas.

prices vary from store to store. I've seen croceas go for $30 and up. Maximas $35 and up, derasas $25 and up and I havnt see a squamosa for sale so I cant help you there.

glxtrix;85861 wrote: croceas can be on sand, but they tend to prefer rock. As I stated in the post, it would be best to find a clam shell to sit him on, then you could move him around easier :) But if you dont like that look, on the rocks will be fine. Good deal AJ, glad I can help get that motivation back. I bought a clam a month ago, that was my first since that time we dont talk about anymore. Its comforting to have one back in the tank, although its a teardrop maxima not a crocea.

I wish I'd have used the clam shell idea when I first put my clam in the tank, as I was gradually going to move'em up the rock pile, but he attached to a large base rock right under the substrate, although he loves all the natural sun he's (it's a boy a guess) this time of year, but would be nice to have him closer to the MH. He's NOT where I wanted him, but if he's happy, it's ok.

WOW! Thank you for posting that... Based on what I'm reading, unless I plan to replace my fluorescent lights with sopmepoerful stuff, I should stay away from getting clams, right?

What about the poor gigas? :)

I just bought one for my tank that's getting aquascaped - it'll go in after a few days...

mojo;103375 wrote: What about the poor gigas? :)

I just bought one for my tank that's getting aquascaped - it'll go in after a few days...

gigas are for punks who need fast cars and big clams to validate their small.....

jmaneyapanda;103378 wrote: gigas are for punks who need fast cars and big clams to validate their small.....

What are you saying...? :) I've wanted a gigas for years, so I'm picking up my blue one on Tuesday. :shades:

mojo;103852 wrote: What are you saying...? :) I've wanted a gigas for years, so I'm picking up my blue one on Tuesday. :shades:

Well done. I assume your gonna aquascape the new tank like the old one (sparse rockwork-ish. If so, a nice gigas will look perfect in a little lagoon.

Yup- I need to take pictures - I'll move the discussion over to my rebuild thread.

To add to Lee's excellent thread-

T. gigas</em> is the largest of the clam species. The same requirements (high light, good water quality, high calcium) still apply here. Although the gigas doesn't require the extreme lights that the crocea</em>s and maxima</em>s do, they can adapt over time. gigas</em> are very fast growers, and grow to be very large - up to 3 feet in length. Because of their growth rate, calcium demand placed on the system is very high, and the owner should account for this when planning to house a gigas</em>. Gigas can be aquacultured, and can be found typically with yellow, green, and blue mantles, although typically not as brightly colored as crocea</em>s or maxima</em>s.

mojo;103919 wrote: Yup- I need to take pictures - I'll move the discussion over to my rebuild thread.

To add to Lee's excellent thread-

T. gigas</em> is the largest of the clam species. The same requirements (high light, good water quality, high calcium) still apply here. Although the gigas doesn't require the extreme lights that the crocea</em>s and maxima</em>s do, they can adapt over time. gigas</em> are very fast growers, and grow to be very large - up to 3 feet in length. Because of their growth rate, calcium demand placed on the system is very high, and the owner should account for this when planning to house a gigas</em>. Gigas can be aquacultured, and can be found typically with yellow, green, and blue mantles, although typically not as brightly colored as crocea</em>s or maxima</em>s.

A little add on, too. Currently, the oldest captive clam (that we know of) resides in the Waikiki Aquarium. It is a Gigas that was picked up and grwon by our very own BrUce Carlson. It's COLLOSAL. Gigas are often (incorrectly) accused of bleaching, but they ahve an unusual mantle appearance. They have lots of tiny little "windows" of clear tissue in the mantle.

I read an article recently about a giant clam (can't remember which species) that was collected during world war II and has been passed around a few research tanks. Now of course I can't find it.

I think Dr. Carlson's clam is the oldest clam bread in captivity. I could be wrong though.

-Loren

jmaneyapanda;103962 wrote: A little add on, too. Currently, the oldest captive clam (that we know of) resides in the Waikiki Aquarium. It is a Gigas that was picked up and grwon by our very own BrUce Carlson. It's COLLOSAL. Gigas are often (incorrectly) accused of bleaching, but they ahve an unusual mantle appearance. They have lots of tiny little "windows" of clear tissue in the mantle.

Good Article. I had my Crocea on the sand for awhile and he was starting to loose his color after time. I moved him up high on the rocks, but didn't know the clam shell trick. He attached and then I had a Bi-color blenny that decided the clam was too close to his turf and he started nipping on it constantly. I had to cut the clam off the rock as far away from his foot as I could. I then got a clam shell from CapBay and he attached to it and I moved him up under the other MH and all seems to be well as he is extended nice, small slit, and has brought back a ton of the blues in him. The clam shell trick to be able to move the clam around without having to cut him off is a crucial trick and one I will never forget when clam keeping. I've know had the clam for around 4-5 months and he looks happy. Seems to have grown some as he was a small (2") clam when I got him, but appears to be near the 2 1/2" mark now. Thanks for a great thread and article.

Matt

glad I could be of some help :) Hey chris or any other mod, could you paste chris's gigas response in with my orignal....that way all the content is together. Thanks.

glxtrix;104013 wrote: glad I could be of some help :) Hey chris or any other mod, could you paste chris's gigas response in with my orignal....that way all the content is together. Thanks.

I'll do it (because it was requested and makes sense!).

I make sense try too! errrr, I try to make sense :) Glad people are finding this article of some use.

Back