Clean a used thank?

marcosbr

Reaction score
I bought this tank and I need some help. How i clean it. I saw videos on YouTube saying that best way to clean it is with vinegar. Please. I need some help.

If it is glass and has coraline algae on it, you can use a solution of half water half vinegar and a razor blade ( just make sure not to swirl go in straight directions) and it will look like brand new with in minutes. Spray on solution let sit for minute or so and spray again and scrape with pushing motion. You can use one of the 3in window scrapers in the paint section at HD or Lowes. If it is a big tank may need more than one blade. I did a 150gal cube in like 15mins. it had coraline caked on it too. It had three panes of starfire as well, and no scatches. Make sure to rinse well after, to get any vinegar out.

Personally I wouldn't dilute the vinegar. Full-strength spray on would be fine. Alternatively a 5% mixture of muriatic acid in water would accomplish the same goal.

CarlitosReef;694799 wrote: Vinegar and clorox

What does the bleach do?? I know vinegar breaks down calcium deposits. I'm just curious what the benefit is?

What about the back of an AIO tank? I have a 34g Solana that I am trying to clean and the back wall that separates the display from the chambers is covered with coraline. Can't really use a razor blade on that plastic.

gas7057;694843 wrote: What about the back of an AIO tank? I have a 34g Solana that I am trying to clean and the back wall that separates the display from the chambers is covered with coraline. Can't really use a razor blade on that plastic.

If you can cover it with vinegar and let it sit you can basically wipe it off or brush it off, but you need a lot of time sitting to do that. (like hours or overnight is even better). You may consider soaking paper towels in vinegar and covering the area to get the reaction.

And you can scrape the plastic. I scrape the plastic overflow in my 60 with a metal scraper quite often.

mph84;694831 wrote: What does the bleach do?? I know vinegar breaks down calcium deposits. I'm just curious what the benefit is?

Not sure how much it will help with the calcium deposits but it will kill any algae and or bacteria that may still be alive.

CarlitosReef;694799 wrote: Vinegar and clorox

BAD IDEA!

Causes the release of chlorine gas which is quite toxic to humans.

a>

WOW - didn't know about the clorox thing. That is what I was told to use. I had the dilution to 1 to 4 parts water. I used a sponge and alot of patience. My tank was already in my garage so I pushed it to the driveway and rinsed it like 4 times. I have pics on here to show my before and after. Believe me this tank was NASTY!. Now it has been running for about 3 months and have had no issues so far.

Back