Cleaner Shrimp Died

kr561

Market
Reaction score
My cleaner shrimp died after i swapped him from my 12gal nano to my 55gal...i had him since i started my 12gal.....this saddens me:sad:

Sure it's not a molt?

How similar were the parameters between tanks?

Jenn

this was all done too fast,swapped tanks with someone else on here,tradded my 12gal nano for their 55gal

Don't know about that. We move tanks frequently - usually no problems.

What was the difference in parameters? You don't know? Then you may never know why.

I'd suggest testing before adding anything new.

Jenn

Sorry...:sad:. Get yourself a test kit asap. If you have a problem, you won't be able to solve the questions unless you know the answers.

good idea,i will buy a kit today,know where i can get one at a good price?? i love near the mall of GA

Petsmart normally have them or any LFS. Check the sponser list for one that may be local.

Don't waste your money on the Doc Wellfish Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test. It's probably the cheapest test kit on the market so everybody buys one .... IME they aren't very accurate.

Seachem, Red Sea, Salifert, and others are better choices.

Jenn

JennM;320970 wrote: Don't waste your money on the Doc Wellfish Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test. It's probably the cheapest test kit on the market so everybody buys one .... IME they aren't very accurate.

Seachem, Red Sea, Salifert, and others are better choices.

Jenn

+1. You get what you pay for. GL

i think ive heard alot of good this about "RedSea"...i'll look for that

I use API and have never had an issue with it. I match up with any LFS I've taken my water to in the past 8 months. The one test of theirs I'm not sure about is phosphates. I'm just not sure how everyone can always be talking about them and yet I've never had ANY according to their test.

As for the shrimp, are you SURE it's not a molt? I've thought on more than one occasion that both my shrimp have died. Nope, just a molt. I actually picked up a molt from an emerald crab...held it in my hands and STILL thought it was a dead crab. Two days later, I had the same amount of crabs I started with.

Check the sponsor map for sponsors close to you.

API test are inexpensive and fairly good. You just have to learn to perform the test correctly and you're good to go.

Test kits I own: API, Sera, Red Sea, Salifert, Elos and Seachem.

Go to Marine Design. I got my API SW kit for $25, Seachem calcium kit for I think $40, and my kH kit for around $12. Look them up, they are a new sponsor.

I have an API, it's garbage IMO. Compared the results to Salifert and Tetra, and a redsea, the results are always off, showing considerably lower values.
Tetra seems to be the most consistent for the $, my lfs swears by the brand. Whatever you decide, stability is the most important parameter to keep. Stuff has thrived in foul water, only to die when the water problems are corrected rapidly. Unfortunately I've had this happen on a tank given to me by my eldest kid, the water was totally screwed, 50% water changes twice a week over a couple months killed a breeding pair of clowns, a firefish, some damsels..

Back