cleaner wrasse

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
ok i want to give one of these guys a shot i know they are real hard to keep but i have alot of fish and ich is something that my fish have to live with .......i have cleaners so looking for something thats gonna go after the paresite ...were can i get them at and how much do they cost thanks
victor

I saw Marine Fish had some--they were nice-but according to our Pres. you should "give your favorite dog a good kick" when you buy one too-lol--

yes but they font have it and never have only my tangs and my rabbit fish get it .......my find wip wrasses had it once but no more signs...... i would qt if you buy the clowns though if your scared of ich .....im not just know that it bothers the but all eat well

yeah thats what im hoppiing that it will eat prepared food but most of all clean my tangs .......how much do they cost

Personally....it is irresponsible reef keeping to get a cleaner wrasse. You cannot sustain them in captivity. Get an ORA (captive raised) blue line cleaner goby from Tim.

fishwhisperer;142631 wrote: Personally....it is irresponsible reef keeping to get a cleaner wrasse. You cannot sustain them in captivity. Get an ORA (captive raised) blue line cleaner goby from Tim.
i can understand were you are coming from .....and i dont want a neon goby for the simple fact that they get ich too and no one will clean them .....that is why i am trying to get one that eats prepared foods...

which one would probably be the easiest to care for ...last time i think i heard that its the african cleaner wrasse am i wrong

Man I get so tired of hearing about how hard these fish are to keep!
150.jpg
alt="" />
I have had this African cleaner for over 2 months now. He eats frozen brine as well as crap off of the fish. Nobody can keep a mandarine either right? Had one for over a year now. NO... Im am not a fish God. Make sure you have the system to support the animal and you will be fine. Now as for hard to keep fish.... I cannot keep a Powder Blue for anything...had to flush 3 of em so far... Guess what... I just suck it up and move on. Does this mean no one can keep a PB? No, just me.Africans are $15.99 here in Augusta...

family reefer;142652 wrote: Man I get so tired of hearing about how hard these fish are to keep!
150.jpg
alt="" />
I have had this African cleaner for over 2 months now. He eats frozen brine as well as crap off of the fish. Nobody can keep a mandarine either right? Had one for over a year now. NO... Im am not a fish God. Make sure you have the system to support the animal and you will be fine. Now as for hard to keep fish.... I cannot keep a Powder Blue for anything...had to flush 3 of em so far... Guess what... I just suck it up and move on. Does this mean no one can keep a PB? No, just me.Africans are $15.99 here in Augusta...
lol dude take a breather man was a simplle question .....but thanks man im gonna get one either way ...and i have a manderine as well and he has trippled in size since i got him about 3-4 months ago i just hope it eats prepared foods .......but i feed so many diffrent kinds of foods its bond to eat something ...agin thank you for your responce

family reefer...or whoever..you can justify whatever.....two months? I don't care if they eat prepared foods...they should stay in the ocean.

ok before this thread gets crazy lets keep it on topic i waqnt to know how mcuh they cost and were i can get them ...please take your personal feelings out of it .thanks you
victor

Just make sure you get the right type of cleaner,(african,common) there are many, Contrary to some of the stuff said on this board, some cleaners when they become adults are not good for the reefs they stop cleaning fish and start eating coral polyps. I know this for a fact because I had my LFS order me a cleaner and I ended up getting a yellow tail cleaner wrasse, which after some research, because He was picking at my corals, turns out is a coral eater as an adult. If I'm not mistaken so is the red sea cleaner, so I'm sure there are others out there as well. To keep it on topic, I have seen them for around 20 dollars online.

My 2 cents- cleaner wrasses, as a group</em>, do not belong in the aquarium. Sure, there is always someone who has had success feeding them nothing but toilet paper and air, but for every 1 success, I would venture to say there are hundreds, if not thousands, of failures. It is ridiculous to think that a fish that has evolves to eat mucous off of fish will thrive eating anything else. Survive? Possibly. Long term thriving? Never.

Some keys to LONG TERM success would be a very large collection of fish. Otherwise, I would gather to say you will ultimately fail. Unless, of course, you are "lucky" enough to get one of the species as Jaandgc mentioned which is an polyp eater.

Victor, even you did get one that ate other foods, it will not even come close to curing ick. As Fishwhisperer mentioned, if you want a biological aid in cleaning fish, get a neon goby or cleaner shrimp. Because at least these other two can have a chance at surviving long term, and all three are just as unlikely to help with the ick.

i know there is no long term cure to ich the reason for the wrasses is so that he goes and cleans the fish not the fish goes and get cleaned i have cleaner shrimp and the only one that uses it is the purple tang but ill try a neon ....but who is gonna clean him wheb he gets ich..... that is why i wanted to give the cleaner wrasses a shot

In my opinion, it is a poor conscientious choice, but you do what you feel Victor. Hey, there only $20, who cares if they live or die, right? just flush it, and buy another and another and another. Good luck.

I would think that if you have that bad of an ick problem, then you have a bigger issue on your hands and a cleaner wrasse is not going to do anything for you in that respect.

I've found that a stable and solid system is the best "cure" for ick.

I would try the neon goby first if I were you. I wanted to get some, but they're just too small for my tank; I'm afraid they'd get eaten pretty quickly. I know family reefer has found one that does well, but like Jeremy said, it's one out of a thousand.

They're cheap and I know MF carries them if you really want to get one, but the goby would be the better first option IMO.

Back