cleaning tank with phosphoric acid

jaandgc

Market
Reaction score
Hello all I just got back with the new tank and need to clean it up. The use of vinigar is out of the question, at least right now. Has anyone used phosphoric acid to clean their tank, I thought I was getting muratic acid but grabbed the phosphoric acid instead. If not any one have some thing else I can use, with out having to fill up the tank?
Jerry

I'd think this would be a glass tank, as acid would etch acrylic. I've never seen any tank that plain bleach and water in a spray bottle couldn't clean. I'd use a teflon scrubby for the scum, and a razor for the coraline. I think acid is overkill, but thats just MHO. Muratic acid isn't all that bad in and of it's self, as I once worked with a pressure washing crew and thought I was washing my hands in a bucket of water, turned out it was Muratic Acid. First you feel a tingle, then the burn sets in.... LOL

I would think you definately can't use acid on acrylic. Could be wrong, but like Dakota said, wouldn't it etch the acrylic?

Well it did come in a plastic bottle, I know its not acrylic, but if it was that bad for acrylic I would think it would also be bad for plastic, but then again windex comes in a plastic bottle.

good point. I don't know what to say about that!

what about Mean Green?? I 've never used it on a tank, but it's safe for all kinds of plastic and stuff..

I have whole bottle I could bring down to you if you want...

Plus, it would give me a good excuse to see that new tank ;)

Is the bottle it came in a crystal clear plastic? or is it frost white? If you don't mind a frost white tank, then by all means, use the acid.

Nothings going to replace elbow grease on this, but I understand your delima, as when cleaning acrylic, often you scratch the surface before the actual crud comes off.

Good luck, and please post your results when the project comes to fruition!

I cleaned a stained freshwater tank some tim eback...I knowits not coraline algea but I used Oxy clean...wow did that eat it off

Kimberly, I don't know if mean green would leave a residue that I would regret later, and you don't have to have an excuse to come down and see the tank. It is still on the trailor thou so it is not much to look at right now.
Dakota9 I don't see the relation ship with the color of the bottle, most companies don't use clear plastic to begin with. Vinager comes in a frosted bottle and I have used that many times.
Russ I may have to try the oxiclean on a small scrap acrylic to see what it does.
Jerry

Yeah...If memory serves me I think it was glass I used it on also...but all I have known or heard it seems to be safe on everything...I wouldnt drink it though :/

I meant if the plastic bottle was a clear plastic, then it might be safe to use the acid on the tank, and it obviously didn't etch the clear plastic. I've read on other sites that oxyclean works majik on tanks. It just seems you have less caustic alternatives.

The NH3 in windex can haze acrylic. Beware! Dakota, the point of the acid is to break down the calcium carbonate(alkaline) deposits. Viniger is a mild, availible acid.

tnyga;84688 wrote: I cleaned a stained freshwater tank some tim eback...I knowits not coraline algea but I used Oxy clean...wow did that eat it off

Good to know ill have to try that.
No resisdues?

Back