Closed loop?

smoothie

Market
Reaction score
I am getting ready to put up a 180 and am going to build a closed loop around the top with 6 points of return from loc-line that is y'ed off. My question is what size pvc and what size loc-line? Tank will be sps on top and softies and some lps on the bottom. And should I spend the money for flare nozzles on the ends of the line?

What pump are you going with... that will decide what size line you want to go with...

Yes, I would use the flare nozzles.

This is the exact (almost) design of the CL that Calfo and I came up with. Works great for my softie and LPS tank. There are a few draw backs to doing SPS this way but it can be done.

You can PM me with some questions if you got them.

2 each 1 1/2" drains and 6 ea returns, each return should be 1/2" all of your plumbing should be done with flex pvc. I reccommend a sequence dart for your CL pump.

chrisjet;164341 wrote: 2 each 1 1/2" drains and 6 ea returns, each return should be 1/2" all of your plumbing should be done with flex pvc. I reccommend a sequence dart for your CL pump.

Juswondering why you say that all the plumbing should be done with Flex...

better flow, when you have 90 degree elbows it limits the flow going out. Also with flex its much easier to work with and alot more forgiving.

Man that was quick! Thanks.
I will probably go with the dart pump for it's gph and reputation. This tank is going to be in my living room so I want something with low maintanace and down time. The tank is drilled in the back about 1/2 of the way up on the inside of the two overflows. (overflows inside on the back not in the corners)
2in for inflow and 1 1/2 for return and 1/2 for loc-line? Please keep the input, ideas and feedback coming. The loop is new to me and I am spending all of my free time reading up on it, so please keep bringin' the pain.

And by flex pvc do you mean the ribbed tubing or the vinyl? I know the ribbed flex tube can get kinda load.

look at my thread with the closed loop, also the pvc is called "flex pvc" you can order it from
a>

Me too, but the blue is so cheap on savco.
I'm about to get my google on and check into it.

Didn't really find anyone using the blue, but I did find a guy on ebay that sold 50ft of the 1/2in blue for 55 bucks.

Any pics or suggestions still welcome on this. I am taking my time with the build to avoid as many problems as I can with the new setup.

how does this sound for a closed loop??

2 - 2" outlets in the corners at the top
2 - 1/2" inlets flowing to the left with 4 branches each
2 - 1/2" inlets flowing to the right with 4 branches each

on 2 mag 12's alternating 5 mins

12's would be a little small divided up and traveling up the tank and around the rim, but multiple pumps would be a good idea in case one goes on the fritz. The options are becoming endless.

Back