Closed zoa

walton

Supporting
Reaction score
So I have a Zoa frag that has never opened since I placed it in my tank. My question is how long have you guys seen zoas stay closed before they open? How long should I wait before I consider it a lost cause?

Do you have other zoas? Are they open? Did you dip the frag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do,all of my other zoas are thriving. I did dip them,these just never opened up. I’ve moved them all over the tank to see if I could make them happy. They were open when I bought them, but they never opened up in my tank.

Have you tried moving them to lower light/flow areas? I have had zoas stay closed for two months before. As long as they dont look like they are rotting away i would just wait

I can still see blue around the tips so I feel there is hope. They are in a flow dead zone in my tank now

I would try moving them around every couple days.I have zoas that love high light and high flow and others that do well in low light and almost no flow. I have had multiple frags of the same zoa and some did well up top and others had to be moved down to the sand bed

Bet ya “bhodges” was thinking Zoa eating Nudibranch... That was my first thought.
Good rule to reef by, never put a Zoas/Zoa in your tank that arn’t/weren’t all open...

Were all the Zoas open when you purchased them?
If the Zoa is closed when you dip it, the Nudi can survive it. I’ve thrown out many Zoa Frags before I had a QT set-up and after housing them in QT...
Not trying to scare you but if Nudis spread in your tank, there very hard to rid.

How many Zoas are there? Can you post a pic?

Oh, I see where you said “they were open when I bought them”.

Does this mean everyone of those Zoas were open? If so, please forget my concern.
If not, if one or two were closed, Nudi’s would be my concern.
Zoa eating Nudibranch come out at night, google it, there ugly!

Oh, I see where you said “they were open when I bought them”.

Does this mean everyone of those Zoas were open? If so, please forget my concern.
If not, if one or two were closed, Nudi’s would be my concern.
Zoa eating Nudibranch come out at night, google it, there ugly!
They were all open fully, I can still see the blue around the rim. I’m moving them today to see if they are unhappy in their location.

Back