Cloudy water - new tank setup? 's

scramer74

Market
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Setup my basic 29gal yesterday. I didn't rinse out the charcoal filters that came stock with the filter. I removed those, but still pretty cloudy. How long does that usually take to clear up? Should I run the filter, power head at all?

I put chemi pure and purgligen in the filter.

Sorry I'm definitely a newbie!

1015111=59451-uploadfromtaptalk1424137310648.jpg
>
1015111=59451-uploadfromtaptalk1424137310648.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1424137310648.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

It will settle out. I buy dead sand and rinse it well to avoid that but it won't hurt anything. Did you go with a canister filter? I started with one and got rid of it after only a few months. Hated it.

If you just set it up yesterday, the cloudiness could be from sand or the salt mix(assuming you didn't premix)

What type of filter are you running?

Usually takes 2-3 days depending on the type of sand you use and what the flow in the tank is. Should clear up and in another month be good for livestock.

Like others have said, it will clear up. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I recently started my tank as well - On day 1 my tank looked just like yours. Here I am 10 days later.
48r1Vit.jpg

Hey I like your rock work, looks good. Like others have said it will clear so don't worry it will be clear in a couple of days. Yes run your filter and always rinse the charcoal or whatever media your going to use. What size is that powerhead, looks kind of big?

Thanks everyone! I'm just sticking with the basics right now. I'm just running a deep blue filter. The tank is actually only a 20gal.

FWIW, I'd pull the purigen and chemi-pure until the cycle is complete. Just wasting $ putting those in now. Run mechanical filtration like a filter pad to help clear it up. Have to change/rinse it often though.

Mechanical filtration will certainly speed things along, but the tank will settle on it's own without any filtration if you give it time. I'm not running anything on my tank - no carbon, no filter socks, no skimmer, etc. Like stang said though, I wouldn't bother with the purigen or chemi yet.

ok gotcha! I was running nothing but pads the other day, and I guess I was just getting inpatient :) Things are clearing up a bit, but then I decided to move the rock around which clouded it up again. Thanks guys, you rock!!

Back