Clown aggression?

Fortunately the only fish that's tagged be is my Stary Blenny, no teeth... ;)

The clowns attack any instrument I put in the tank but not my hands. I've flicked them when they start getting close and they'll think about it but keep their distance now. But when I took their rock with the nems out I didn't dare do it with my hands.

If the Triggers ever decided to get mean I'd be in trouble. They can do some serious damage, whatever gets in their mouth is coming off.

Hard to say. A nem makes them feel happy but also possessive. Mine started spawning once I got a nem. I would be careful about going more than 2 with a nem unless you have a 100+ tank.

I feel like if they’re hosting they’re more aggressive. My pair use to host a frogspawn and any time my hand was near that frogspawn they’d both attack, my smaller, younger male more so than my female.

Not in my smaller then they have nothing to host but my male still bites me every time I’m doing anything in the tank

That’s a fair response. But it seems to support more that each clowns personality is of stronger significance than the anemone. Unless I’m misunderstanding.

For a similarly concrete example on why I think it doesn’t matter: I have 2 pairs of clowns, hosting bta anemones in separate tanks. None of mine are aggressive. No matter what I do, they don’t bite.

That said, I’ve had many clowns at my old LFS, that with or without anemones, would bite every time and within 1-5 seconds (some of them, always under 2 seconds). I’d also have many that wouldn’t ever. I probably saw more aggressive ones without anemones than with. But that could have been biased if we were subconsciously placing aggressive ones (staying within species lines) into non-anemone tanks.

And in my experience, clowns will host anything: anemones, coral, a rock, a piece of plastic, a wall, a powerhead, anything.

but once again, this is all anecdotal evidence. Nothing strong enough to be conclusive.

Fortunately the only fish that's tagged be is my Stary Blenny, no teeth... ;)

The clowns attack any instrument I put in the tank but not my hands. I've flicked them when they start getting close and they'll think about it but keep their distance now. But when I took their rock with the nems out I didn't dare do it with my hands.

If the Triggers ever decided to get mean I'd be in trouble. They can do some serious damage, whatever gets in their mouth is coming off.
Triggers and a puffer, eel when I vacuum all get a lil close!

That’s a fair response. But it seems to support more that each clowns personality is of stronger significance than the anemone. Unless I’m misunderstanding.

For a similarly concrete example on why I think it doesn’t matter: I have 2 pairs of clowns, hosting bta anemones in separate tanks. None of mine are aggressive. No matter what I do, they don’t bite.

That said, I’ve had many clowns at my old LFS, that with or without anemones, would bite every time and within 1-5 seconds (some of them, always under 2 seconds). I’d also have many that wouldn’t ever. I probably saw more aggressive ones without anemones than with. But that could have been biased if we were subconsciously placing aggressive ones (staying within species lines) into non-anemone tanks.

And in my experience, clowns will host anything: anemones, coral, a rock, a piece of plastic, a wall, a powerhead, anything.

but once again, this is all anecdotal evidence. Nothing strong enough to be conclusive.
I have seen young clowns host with long spiny urchin too

Back