clown fights.

jade76

Market
Reaction score
well...I just purchased an additional clown to go in my tank and hopefully atleast make friends with the one existing clown. when I bought the new clown I thought he was a little larger than my current one, however he is REALLY close to the same size. (i know that the sizes are supposed to be different) well.......they're not making friends but showing constant aggression. they will swim side by side and then one will turn on the other and they will spar off, ending in the new fish retreating to the top corner of the tank. Will this eventually stop? or will they really hurt each other one day? when they spar, its just more show and chase than actual fighting.

It could be that both of your clowns had already morphed into females before they ended up in your tank together.

I have two ocellaris that I got from Lee that are pretty much the same size. Although they get along just fine and are always together, I never see any mating behavior, etc. I'm convinced I have a happy pair of BFF's in my tank.

Currently, I have the same problem with two False perc. The clowns have been in QT for about a month (since I bought them) and one of them is always swiming on his side either in the top or bottom of the tank. His color is very faded but he eats and his fins look fine. Could I have two females? There is chasing from time to time but I am little concerned they are not getting along. Is almost 5 weeks. Should I exchange one of them? Thanks.

both are true B&W percs.....and yeah, they have plenty of room. Guess ill give it a couple weeks. thanks all.

Jade, Reefscape turned me onto a great tip to condition a second clown. Get a hamster ball (they are like $3) and put the new clown in there. I use a piece of fishing line to keep the ball close to my clowns anemone. After a week, I let him go and they paired up after a few days.

armein78
target="_blank">
securedownload-2.jpg
border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

Ok what is this on my sand bed?

securedownload-2.jpg
>http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/armein78/securedownload-2.jpg</a>

securedownload-1.jpg
>http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/armein78/securedownload-1.jpg</a>

Acura_Rob;223421 wrote: Ok what is this on my sand bed?

securedownload-2.jpg
>http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/armein78/securedownload-2.jpg</a>

securedownload-1.jpg
>http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/armein78/securedownload-1.jpg</a>

its cyno. bacteria....open a new thread of your own and im sure people will discuss it with you.

loren, thanks for the idea, I think I may try that.

jade76;223365 wrote: both are true B&W percs.....and yeah, they have plenty of room. Guess ill give it a couple weeks. thanks all.
They are B&W ocellaris clowns, not true percs...
But if they are still young and your tank has enough space, they will eventually get along.

LorenK;223411 wrote: Jade, Reefscape turned me onto a great tip to condition a second clown. Get a hamster ball (they are like $3) and put the new clown in there. I use a piece of fishing line to keep the ball close to my clowns anemone. After a week, I let him go and they paired up after a few days.

Anyone ever tried this to introduce a pair of clowns to a tank where there is already a pair? I have a 90g with the aforementioned pair and would like to have my B&W darwins in there as well... but I don't want a disaster. I love my B&W's. There are two 'nems in the tank, both being ignored by the current clowns. The B&W's hosted a 'nem before I removed it from their nano when it started bleaching.

MvM;223453 wrote: They are B&W ocellaris clowns, not true percs...
But if they are still young and your tank has enough space, they will eventually get along.

thanks for the correction flin...your absolutely correct.:up:

When you got the new one, was it in with other clowns or by itself? If it was with others then the chances of it already being a female are pretty slim unless it was the largest of the group. As Barbara said, as long as they aren't doing physical harm and they both get time to eat and rest they should be ok. When they are unsexed and close to the same size it is more difficult for one of them to just accept the dominance of the other. It could be a very long process.

I have 7 clowns, 4 different types, in the 160. All were introduced at different times. As long as they have their own space they should be fine.

Barbara;223487 wrote: Jeff, where you been buddy? Are you going to be at the October meeting?

ive been busier than a cat in a rat factory.
.....work and school thats all I have time for (thank goodness Ive a tank to stare at to relax). I probably wont make it to any meetings soon as this semesters schedule is quite demanding of my time. Hopefully I'll grind in some time somewhere.

yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Came home tonite.............................both the clowns are chillin with smiles nuzziling each other in my gonopria!! It really looks as if they may group!
Im really quite happy.

Barbara;224109 wrote:

I know they're 2 different kinds, but I thought I'd be successful for sure since they were both the babies from a larger group. Around 2 months and still no luck!

My two small clowns that I thought would pair up still haven't after 2 months, but they each have their own "space" and one hosts in the frogspawn while the other hosts in a patch of zenia, so for now, they're just happy being neighbors.

Barb, have you tried rearranging the furniture? Since neither is showing aggression towards the other, that might help. Maybe if you remove the LazyBoy recliner, they'd both share the sofa? For instance, try taking the frogspawn out of the tank and see what happens.

Back