Clown Fish Mouth Stuck Open

k3nnyp

Supporting
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed my clownfish's mouth appeared to be stuck open. He closed it so I didn't think much else about it. Today after work I noticed his/her mouth is still open and now it appears to be acting a little erratic.

I did some research and found a few posts regarding similar incidents and the majority of them seemed to snap back, although took days to fully recover.

One interesting theory was a bad interaction between the clownfish and a frogspawn. Another mentioned having a similar experience and suggested possibly there hammer coral being the culprit.

Two things led me to believe that my hammer coral might be the culprit. One, my clown fish recently started hosting in the hammer coral. This was new behavior and seemed to be doing fine. Secondly, while vacuuming some loose algae and crud off of a nearby rock I accidentally sucked up a couple tentacles from the hammer coral which did some damage to the poor guy. These two observations lead me to believe there might some truth to a bad interaction between the hammer and the clown.

Anyone else have a similar experience? How did it turn out?

I've seen that about three times in 25 years. Mouth gaping open, jaw jutting forward. Interest in food, but can't eat, at least at first.

Each time it ended in death, and only once was any coral known to be in the tank....

I think it's viral or bacterial infection rather than physical injury...

My clown did the same thing as yours after 2-3 days She started to host the frogspawn, jaw locked and the lips swelled. Forturnately she still can eat. It's been like that around 2 weeks now. I might remove the frogspawn if she does not recover for another couple of days and give her an anemone instead.

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the frogspawn. My 10-year old clowns host in every Euphyllia in the tank they're in.

Not sure what the cause might be, but I would rule out the presence of a coral.

I can not see anything in its mouth. I only related my observations after reading the other posts. Certainly could be a coincidence. I subscribe to the thought that correlation is not necessarily causation.

Possible. I have tried to see something but no luck.

Seems all healed now. No conclusive evidence but I'm still suspecting the encounter with the hammer based on observations. I'm thinking the damage to the coral might have leeched some toxins.

He is still hosting in the hammer and seems fine with it for now. I'm hoping he finds my new anemone on the other side of the tank eventually.

Mine is alreday recover too. I put a RBTA for them but looks like they prefer froggy and never go into it.....

Back