Clown not Eating

shanepike

Market
Reaction score
I got a couple of false percs at Pure Reef exactly a month ago. From Day 1, they've eaten like they were starving. I feed them once a day (usually pellets, but Rod's and Mysis every so often), and they always act like they haven't seen food in a month. I understand that's pretty normal.

For the past three days, though, the little one just hasn't seemed interested in eating. It's not that the big one is chasing him off the food. He just looks at the pellets and acts like it isn't worth the effort to swim after it.

After two days of not eating pellets, I tried some Rod's today. The big one ate it like he was never getting another meal. The little one, though, would try a piece every once in awhile, but I saw him grab and then spit out at least 20 pieces. I didn't see him actually swallow even one, and he definitely didn't have anywhere near the ravenous-shark behavior that the large one had and that he usually displays when I feed Rod's.

As someone who killed four unkillable betas when he first started this hobby, I'm VERY anxious.

Should I be worried about this?

I would try soaking some food in garlic and see if that makes a difference. If he's fat and healthy I wouldnt worry a lot at this point. Any other signs of stress?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

When I'm anxious, everything</em> looks like a sign of stress :) Is he swimming slower? Does his mouth always open like that? Does his eye look weird?

Until there's something obvious, I guess I'll just keep an eye on things.

If you notice any white poo, that may be a sign of some stomach issues. I would definitely pick up some garlic and try switching up food. Try different kinds- mysis, pellets, anything small and easy to eat.

I had this problem with 2 clowns in the past, and once I saw white poop, I got very worried. After relentlessly getting it to eat garlic pellets, he finally got back to himself again.

But yes, you sound a lot like me. This hobby definitely keeps you on your toes!

Tried mysis today. Still not eating. Sometimes he would swim up so close to it he could almost touch it with his face, but he'd never even try a bite.

I noticed something today that I had never noticed before. There's what looks to be a piece of skin hanging down right below his middle stripe. Here are the best shot I could get of it:

clown-1.jpg
alt="" />

clown-2.jpg
alt="" />

Of course I've never studied him that closely before, either, so who knows if it's new or not.

Any reason to be concerned?

It doesn't look like the typical "stringy white poo" I've seen but that doesn't mean anything ;)

If it's otherwise behaving properly, I'd watch and wait - see if that little white thing comes off (ie, he poops it out), or if it is indeed either something sticking out that shouldn't be sticking out, or perhaps some sort of ectoparasite, or an internal parasite making its way out.

Hard to say at this point but if it's only being a bit fussy about its food, I wouldn't worry too much at this point, it appears healthy otherwise.

Let us know about that "protrusion" that will give us more information.

Jenn

He seems more lethargic than normal, but again I haven't ever watched him this closely either. He does</em> dart away with great alacrity if he's startled at all. Otherwise, he just hangs out slowly.

The white poo was definitely my first thought, but I figured it would eventually come out if that's what it was. Been a couple of hours now and it's still hanging. I'll definitely keep watching.

On a related note: Do clowns need somewhere to host? Will it cause them stress if they're just free-swimming all the time?

Tank-raised clowns have presumably never even seen an anemone (unless they were reared with one.) In captivity they don't need a host anemone and sometimes they won't even take to one (at least not immediately). A. ocellaris and A. percula don't seem to have the urge to take up residence in an anemone, as some other species do, at least in my observation.

So no, I don't think that's causing it stress. The jockeying for hierarchy between 2 juveniles to determine who becomes female, IS a stress, that's how they determine their mature gender - but that's a normal part of growing up for a clown. Unless one is really tearing up the other, I'd let them sort it out.

Jenn

Nah, they've seemed like good friends from the moment they hit the tank.

The white thing is gone now. Came off (out?) within the last hour.

Meant to ask you how he was doing when you came over last night but I forgot in all the commotion. From the pictures he looks healthy. Hope everything is ok with him.

All better! Had another day of not eating yesterday, but from first light this morning he was eating anything he could find in the tank. And when I fed pellets at noon, he was all over them.

Whew!

Back