Clown Selection

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
MvM gave me (or basically forced me to take that is:D ) an unwanted BTA he had when I picked up some zoas. Nursed it back to health and it's found it's "happy place" in my tank. I've been so busy with coral purchases and placement I haven't even thought about fish until now. I would love to get it a clown so I don't have to worry about feeding it as often, and need input as to which clown to get.

The tank is a 28 cube and the nem is about 5" inflated. I would love to stay with a small clown. What are my best options for a smaller clown that is likely to host the nem. I know the maroons are pretty much a definant to host, bu they also get pretty big. Price not really a problem....el cheapo to Picasso will work. I just want to find one that has a high % of hosting the nem. My tank is all SPS and zoas other than a single leather and a candy cane. Thanks.

It really depends on what you like. I can't wait to get another tank so I can either get a Clarki or a Tomato clown. But that is just me.

a wild caught clown is more likely to take to anemones then tank breed clowns. i have a clarkii that took to 2 anemones right away but most ppl say it just depends on the fish. i would definely go with wild caught if you want it to host the anemone. depending wht all you have in your tank becareful of maroons bc they are mean little fish.

I agree with Mark there is nothing better than a well colored marron clown. In a 28 you not going to have many fish so the fact of aggression is a none point to me.

Bio-load will be very small. Likely a small goby/blenny, firefish, and cardinal. Possibly a small wrasse like a 6-line.

The maroon scares me a little because once it gets bigger, my shrimp might become target.

WILLIAM1;254551 wrote: :D I would do a couple of Keen Reefs ORA black clowns

I knew you were a nice guy but offering to buy me 2 ORA black clowns.....outstanding:D What time should they arrive....LOL.

I'm considering a wrasse due to the rediculous micro snail population on my glass (another post:doh: ). If I locate a clown already hosting at a LFS, does that increase the chances it will host my nem too.....or is it still hit and miss. I know Marine Design has several hosting right now.

I need to give Tim a call and see what he has too.

My six line wrasse has been a model citizen. Doesn't bother my Ocellaris Clowns, Firefish, Flame Angel, inverts or anyone. He just keeps to himself darting in and out of the rocks. I think he's very nice looking and a very active addition to the tank.

I am with Ares, I love my Oscellaris and any other bright orange clowns. No experience with ORA, but they look nice.

I know it's pretty far south, but just got back from blue planet. I got two small tomoto clowns, a gorgeous rbta, an also gorgeous purple firefish, and seven assorted snails of good size for a great price. She has a wide selection of clowns (mostly tank raised) and they're almost all hosting different nems! New shipment just came in this week (she held my set for over three weeks while my tank cycled) and she has a ton of little clowns and wrasses. Worth the drive, imo. Of course, I'm already down here.

jonboyb;254559 wrote: I knew you were a nice guy but offering to buy me 2 ORA black clowns.....outstanding:D What time should they arrive....LOL.

Here you go man hand delivery is the best hey....
87694305fz9.png
alt="" /></a>

My tank raised hosted faster than my wild caught. My ORA clown went straight from the bag and to my anemone. It did not pass go or collect $200. I think it really depends on the fish.

It does depend on the fish my ORA black clown wont go by it but time will tell.

Back