Clownfish eating my Carpet Anemone?

james s_

Market
Reaction score
So I got this Sweet Green Carpet Anemone from William today. Got it acclimated and got it settled down on a rock in the corner of my tank. My **** Gold Stripe Maroon clowns are taking bites out of it. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I had to take it out of the tank I was worried they would kill it. WTF?????

Hey J - my black clown sucks on the carpet tenacles but doesn't take pieces out. Not sure if this helps. **** clowns are so unpredictable.

I've heard of this before. I think it had something to do with ingesting it so that the fish becomes immune to the nem's sting.

The female bit the edges of the Anemone and spit out what she bit off. She went after it as soon as I stuck it in the tank. Then the male jumped in on the action and I decided to take it out of the tank. ****ing weird.

Skriz;212980 wrote: I've heard of this before. I think it had something to do with ingesting it so that the fish becomes immune to the nem's sting.

Hmm never thought about that. Maybe I should just put it back in???? I would hate for them to kill it.

I doubt they'd kill it, but I'd also hate for you to put it back in and they do kill it!

Clownfish will suck on nems....or other things, I had one that sucked on sponges. This apparently shows dominance. If there are no tentacles physically torn off the nem, I'd say don't worry about it. But if they are missing, then yeah, you may want to consider some kind of alternative.

Yeah this was not sucking. She bit chunks out of the edge and spit them out. This sucks!

Very interesting. Can't say I've ever see that happen. Hope it works out man.

Hmm never seen this before how large are your clowns and did you put the nem in the spot they host to normally?

Try putting it in the opossite side of the tank. See if that helps..

WILLIAM1;212992 wrote: Hmm never seen this before how large are your clowns and did you put the nem in the spot they host to normally?

the Female is BIG. a good 5-6" and the male is half her size.

WILLIAM1;212994 wrote: Try putting it in the opossite side of the tank. See if that helps..

I did thanks for your help. Hopefully it doesn't move around too much tonight and kill other corals. Im going to keep my eye on it throughout the night.

james leave your light on all night then tomorrow go into your normal cycle if not the nem most likely wonder that has always helped me keep my nem were i want it

Well, seeing that its a carpet, its going to move diff than most nems....at least that's what I noticed with mine when I had one. They wont go up on rocks. They like attaching under rocks under the sand. Typically once in place, they wont move much.....than again like I said, that's how mine acted.

No sand in my tank so we will see. Hopefully it gets happy somewhere.

Toadstool is doing good. It has opened up pretty good and has all of its polyps out. It will be great piece for the 600.

The Anemone seems to be doing ok this morning. It has not moved from the spot I put it in last night.

WILLIAM1;213062 wrote: Are the clown leaving it alone? Hope everything is better today.

Lights are still off so they are napping in their RBTA. The Carpet is on the other side of the tank and seems to be doing fine. The Clowns don't go far from their Anemone.

Back