clowns hosting a polyp colony?

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
I have a pair of tomato clowns that, instead of going to my anemone, they have decided to live in a green button polyp colony. They rest in it in night, and swim near it 24/7...this seems odd to me, is this normal? They've been doing this for a few weeks now so...anyone seen this before?

Yes, for the longest time our clowns hosted a mag float but wouldn't get near our GBTA. Now they host in anthelia. They lay eggs there and are as happy as can be! They are false and kinda "dee dee dee" though.

Give them time to find the nem'.... they should at one point or another. My clowns only go to the nem' to sleep, other than that they are all around the tank.

Happens all the time. My clowns love their hammer coral and one of them jumps to other corals at times.

Joe

lol, I know clowns dont always take to nems, I guess I never heard of them hosting alternative homes...the mag float beats my buttons.

What type of Nem you got for your clowns?!? Not all clowns take to all types of Nems.

Interesting observation since I was doing some research on this very topic today.

GARF (I don't really know who these folks are) suggests that hobbyists don't buy anemones since they are difficult to keep and they feel we are endangering them in the wild.

They actually recommended various soft corals for hosting possibilities. Don't recall the names but a quick search on GARF should reveal the article.

well I have a long tentacle nem and tomato clowns. I don't necessarily expect the clowns to take to this nem, but I didn't expect them to take to a button colony in the middle of the tank. Its cool though, its better than them hiding in the rock work to starve.

While I really like Sally Jo and the Garf crew and while I think that they atre right that Nems should not be one of the first things you buy (They need a very established tank), I do not agree with the claim that "we are endangering them in the wild". Many nems are being captive raised more and more and there is no shortage of Nems in the wild. My last diving trip to the islands, I saw no less then 1000 BTAs in a snorkel trip much less how many I saw while in scuba.

With that said, most clowns will adopt SOMETHING to host in. Like Jen said, Mine host in my Anthillia. Give them time, they will find something.

stickx911;187899 wrote: well I have a long tentacle nem and tomato clowns. I don't necessarily expect the clowns to take to this nem, but I didn't expect them to take to a button colony in the middle of the tank. Its cool though, its better than them hiding in the rock work to starve.

They should take to the LTA in time.. A BTA would be a better selection for them and maybe a better chance for them to host in it since it is a natural home for them.

Brandon,

I had (have) a Rose Nem that lives in a hole -- I think it's still alive but has no interest in showing itself. I got it at the same time I bought my pair of clowns. For awhile, everyone was happy -- then the nem retreated, came out, retreated -- and now has stays in hiding. Not sure, it's probably dying.

Should I remove the rock and pull him out?

BTW, the clowns really miss him.

"Pulling" is not the route that I would go but giving him a nudge is not a bad idea. problem when you introduce a Nem and clowns at the same time is that the nem never gets to feel secure and find a good home. It gets pestered by the clowns right off the bat. You might want to consider pulling the clowns into a QT for a bit and moving the Nem in the tank, let him get settled again and then re-introduce the clowns in a few weeks. Also, make sure you are giving the Nem what it needs for a home. BTAs need a "rubble pile" to attach to. Translation = They need some place to put their foot in between a few rocks to feel protected. You might think he will look really nice on that shelf piece, but that is most likely not where he will FEEL safe. Nems are picky animals and one of the reasons they are so hard to take care of. Most successful tanks are set up with their needs in mind first and foremost!

BTW: Make sure you are still feeding him down in that hole too.

Got it.

It would seem that he would feel safe and secure in the hole. Gee, no one can get to him. I'll shoot some mysis in there tomorrow.

Hey, already changed the lighting schedule -- will keep you posted.

-gene

PS Thanks for the coaching.

lol, I had a bta, and it never found a good spot and often liked to hide as well. I fed it twice a week, and eventually he just stopped eating and withered away...quite a nasty smell by the way...I'm not advanced enough yet maybe for a bta, but one day I'll get them a good nem.

The nasty smell and potential pollution is why I think I need to get him out of my tank!

Back