Club QT

Once again, I think you are oversimplifying it. You cannot say limiting to one species at a time would be helpful. Many fish species conversely will do great when mixed, but terribly when with their own species.

To reiterate; it is a complex matter that warrants consideration of many important and serious facets. Its possible but it wouldn’t be easy.

Very true. It would just have to be something we might take on a case by case basis. We could always discus what would be our best options and go from there. What would all the concerns everyone would have?

who pays for loses while in quarantine?

It can't be the buyer - and it can't be the club.
Yep this makes it difficult
If 10 fish go in quarantine for 10 people, and 1 fish does not make it, which individual is out? You have only a week long guarantee from live aquaria and we know that is not a long enough QT period

Well if we stick to a place like liveaquaria we have a week guarantee and protected on DOA. So anything in that week would be covered. After that you would be on your own but this isn't any different I feel than going to a local fish store anyways after.

Yep this makes it difficult
If 10 fish go in quarantine for 10 people, and 1 fish does not make it, which individual is out? You have only a week long guarantee from live aquaria and we know that is not a long enough QT period
You would just reorder the fish from live aquaria. Then the person could always just take it home from their and do their own QT. I'm not saying we have the fish go through the full QT process but just a temp hold QT process.

Well if we stick to a place like liveaquaria we have a week guarantee and protected on DOA. So anything in that week would be covered. After that you would be on your own but this isn't any different I feel than going to a local fish store anyways after.

i think they changed the policy since the last time i ordered from them (btw they don't have quality that they used to): if a fish passes away during 1 week guarantee, you will be issued a store credit that expires within a few months....at least that's my recollection.

they will not replace/reship the deceased fish for you at the price that you paid plus you will be charged for $10 for the box fee in addition to the shipping fee.

As far as who would be the one to wait I feel like you could just go by who ever paid first get 1st pick then 2nd etc etc. The last person to pay would be the one that has to wait the longest.

i think they changed the policy since the last time i ordered from them (btw they don't have quality that they used to): if a fish passes away during 1 week guarantee, you will be issued a store credit that expires within a few months....at least that's my recollection.

they will not replace/reship the deceased fish for you at the price that you paid plus you will be charged for $10 for the box fee in addition to the shipping fee.
Maybe we can get someone to verify? We could also possibly have someone from the club call live aquaria as a representative for the club and see if they could work out some sort of group buy deal.

is there a market for QT'd fish in this club?

my idea is:

say that a diamond goby is $30 for small size.

i charge $60

i get to pocket $30.

what does the $30 cover?

if the goby dies, i will replace it and quarantine it over again.....

if it doesn't die, it covers the time, labor, salt, additive/meds.

of course this price will be higher if you want purple tang/archilles tang and those seasonal fishes.

the thing i'm already foreseeing is people wanting quality fish at a "reasonable price". who's the judge of a "reasonable price"?

As I've stated multiple times. I am going to start a QT service. But I don't think I want anything to do with handling QT'ing a group buy.
Even though I'm going to be using a 60B for one of the QT's there's no way I'm going to take in 8,10 or more Purple Tangs. Just not gonna happen.

As I've stated multiple times. I am going to start a QT service. But I don't think I want anything to do with handling QT'ing a group buy.
Even though I'm going to be using a 60B for one of the QT's there's no way I'm going to take in 8,10 or more Purple Tangs. Just not gonna happen.
Are you going to sell fish as well or just have people bring you fish to QT?

Are you going to sell fish as well or just have people bring you fish to QT?
I've been thinking about the options and there will be some stuff to work out. At least to start it will either be bringing the fish to me or ordering it and having the delivery point be my house. For online orders to me, either myself or my wife would pickup and the closest FedEx location. This will also not be a free deal, there will be a fee of some amount yet to be determined. It will probably scale with the size of the fish. If everything goes well for a period of time I may expand on it down the road but I'm thinking it will be several years before there's any type of selling on a more commercial level.

As I sit here and think about it I might entertain doing something on a club level. But I have a lot of fish to handle myself over the next 6 months or more. Stocking my tanks is going to be an endeavor in and of itself. Everything is also so new with the space and planning the layout. I'm sure there will be some hiccups I'll need to work through. There's also quite a lot of other priorities with the club that need to be addressed in the coming months.

I've been thinking about the options and there will be some stuff to work out. At least to start it will either be bringing the fish to me or ordering it and having the delivery point be my house. For online orders to me, either myself or my wife would pickup and the closest FedEx location. This will also not be a free deal, there will be a fee of some amount yet to be determined. It will probably scale with the size of the fish. If everything goes well for a period of time I may expand on it down the road but I'm thinking it will be several years before there's any type of selling on a more commercial level.
Hmmm I'd be interested to see how this works for you. I feel like this could have a lot of issues. For example who pays for the fish if it dies in your care throughout the process?

As I sit here and think about it I might entertain doing something on a club level. But I have a lot of fish to handle myself over the next 6 months or more. Stocking my tanks is going to be an endeavor in and of itself. Everything is also so new with the space and planning the layout. I'm sure there will be some hiccups I'll need to work through. There's also quite a lot of other priorities with the club that need to be addressed in the coming months.
Well this should give you some experience in dealing with a lot of fish at once then.

Hmmm I'd be interested to see how this works for you. I feel like this could have a lot of issues. For example who pays for the fish if it dies in your care throughout the process?
I honestly don't know yet. There is a lot to think about.
Well this should give you some experience in dealing with a lot of fish at once then.
That's the plan. But if someone's fish comes in with something out of the norm, like a gram negative infection, I don't feel like I should be responsible for it. With the fee's I have in my head of $20-50 this wouldn't a money making endeavor. I would have to make enough to offset the costs of losing something expensive and I'm not starting this to make a profit.

Of the 35 or so fish I've owned so far I have only lost about 8. Of those, only 5 we're due to my negligence and they were early on, jumping mostly. But 3 happened for no reason that I could that I could tell and all of them were months into ownership. After I get my systems stocked I will have quite a bit more experience. I also plan on starting a dialog with HumbleFish on how to move forward with doing more than just my own fish. Hopefully by the time I'm ready I'll be able to handle a lot of things. I'd tend to believe the vast majority of deaths will happen within days of receiving a fish and that should fall into a credit situation with the supplier.

Back