CO2 out???

glxtrix

Market
Reaction score
Man, i look last night at my gauges on my co2 cylinder, and the left gauge is almost reading 0! Wow, I just got this thing filled like 2 months ago. I know the other night I looked at it, it was a little below 1100. What could have happened to leak all the co2 out? I know it's possible for the reg to have failed, but how? It would have had to purge all the compressed air out....Looks like an unexpected beverage control run.

quickest way to loose co2 is a loose connection and not using co2 proof tubing..regular tubing leaks co2,, silicone tubing does not..

The pressure in the tank (and left dial reading) goes really quickly to. CO2 is stored as a liquid, but it starts to get low, the pressure drops like a brick. Still check all your fittings, as Jaime said. Worst case secanrio, undo your eregulator and open the tank a little. If your pressure is 0, it wont do anything. If you get deafened and frozen from the CO2, then the regulator is bad.

Kind of what Panda said except I would take the test one step further.... Undo the reg from the tank. If you pour a bit of warm H20 down the tank, you should see a level of condensation build where the tank is colder then the air and the hot water. If that does not work, ask Alan for some good music and turn it on in the background... Stick your lips on the valve and open it. (Don't worry, your lips will unfreeze in time!) If you inhale and the room goes dim and the music starts to sound really weird then they filled your tank with NO2 not CO2 and that is your problem. If that is the case, I will trade ya tanks! If not then your tank is fine and your reg is acting up!

Brandon, you're a weird individual....At any rate, i guess there must have been a leak, I picked up the cylinder and it was kinda light. So I took it over to Beverage Control off exit 99 and 85. FYI, they are going to start charging for sales under $10....to fill a 10lb is $9 flat. So remember to bring cash if you fill with them. I'll make sure I extra tighten the reg when i put it on later. Thanks guys for the help. Ah yes and co2 proof tubing....I's need to get me some of that :)

glxtrix;184907 wrote: Man, i look last night at my gauges on my co2 cylinder, and the left gauge is almost reading 0! Wow, I just got this thing filled like 2 months ago. I know the other night I looked at it, it was a little below 1100. What could have happened to leak all the co2 out? I know it's possible for the reg to have failed, but how? It would have had to purge all the compressed air out....Looks like an unexpected beverage control run.

When you attach your regulator to the CO2 tank you should do a bubble test. Get some soapy water and a brush, and wet the thread/nut where the reg attaches to the cylinder. If you see bubbles, that means you have a leak. If so, the problem is usually the sealing disc or O-ring that seals the reg to the tank. Do this after you have turned the tank valve on. This is the same thing they do when they check a car tire for air leaks. Should be standard procedure when you change out a tank.

Yeah I think I'll just add some of that pipe thread tape when I attatch the newly filled tank later today. I'm sure I'm losing a bit from the non co2 resistant tubing as well. Oh well.

glxtrix;185028 wrote: Yeah I think I'll just add some of that pipe thread tape when I attatch the newly filled tank later today. I'm sure I'm losing a bit from the non co2 resistant tubing as well. Oh well.

Do what you want, but tape is not recommended or necessary on the threads. If your plastic disc or o ring is leaking, that won't make any difference because thegs will leak from the point where the stem leading to the reg comes out of the female threaded cap nut on the reg.

If your o ring or seal disc is good with adequate tightening, then you won't have any leaks.
Dave

Ah cool, didn't know that. Well the reg is brand new (well 2or so mos old)...so I'd imagine there is nothing wrong with it. I'll check it over tonight tho to make sure there is no issues with it. And the soapy water test too. Thanks.

where can i get a CO2 tank from? i finished building my calicum reactor weeks ago and still have not set it up

yeah but they will have steel tanks and those have to be checked every 5 years. Not to mention will rust if anywhere near saltwater. Go on ebay andlook up aluminum co2 tanks. There is a beverage co (I think) that sells new aluminum 10lb tanks for about 80shipped. Those only have to be quality checked every 10 years, and won't rust.

so what number does the right gauge have to be at? I think it was at 8 before and seemed to be purging slightly. Perhaps thats why I was leaing co2

William, beverage control off 85 and exit 99 is were I go. Take cash so you don't get charged a fee. 10lb tanks are 9 bux to fill. They are open m-f and don't fill tanks from 12-2 or something like that. Call to make sure tho.

sagent3000;185312 wrote: where can i get a CO2 tank from? i finished building my calicum reactor weeks ago and still have not set it up

Keep an eye posted on craigslist. Look under CO2 tank. I picked up two 5# tanks for $40 couple months ago.

I buy my tanks cheap, then I just swap them out for filled tanks at my supplier, so I don't have to worry about getting them tested. Sometimes I have aluminum, sometimes steel. Been doing this for about 10 years. Same thing as geting one refilled. As long as they don't lose a tank, the gas places don't care.
Dave

I just re-filled mine at Classic Paintball....$1.00 a pd. Open Fri, Sat and Sun!

Back