colleting

just hanging

Market
Reaction score
i heading down to flordia in feb for my break and i would like to bring back a fish or two could some one help me find a list of fish thay have i know a lot of them like toadfish,scorpian fish, mullet all that but i looking for the less noticed ones i'll be looking in the sea weed. it be a margrove area. also if i need a permit. thanks guys

You might want to look into the legal issues first as that will limit what, where, and how.

i know i've been trying to figure out that out but having troble im on
a>

Don't even bother trying. I researched this last year when I was headed to the beach. Even if you managed to find something legally or illegally, your aquarium is pollution and parasite free. You will undoubtedly bring something back to your tank that could cause serious issues. Bottom line is that there are too many legal obstacles, and if you get through or around those, you have to keep it alive long enough to get home, then you risking introducing something no bueno to you aquarium.

dmahoney82;275653 wrote: Don't even bother trying. I researched this last year when I was headed to the beach. Even if you managed to find something legally or illegally, your aquarium is pollution and parasite free. You will undoubtedly bring something back to your tank that could cause serious issues. Bottom line is that there are too many legal obstacles, and if you get through or around those, you have to keep it alive long enough to get home, then you risking introducing something no bueno to you aquarium.
But most fish come from the ocean anyway. Just quarentine it. I'm going to get a licence so that I can snorkel and get an atlantic tang for the big tank. I'm just gonna be careful well quarentining.

but there are certain speces specific to mangroves thou i highly dout i find a seahourse in the middle of the ocean.lol

oh yea and the tank i put it in would be the qt tank it sat in there until i set up a diff tank

I'm not trying to come off as Mr. pessimistic here. I really wanted to do the same thing last year and after doing the research and weighing the pros and cons, it just wasn't worth the risk. Even if I found something amazing, keeping it alive for possibly days at condo then as well on the drive home, I didn't feel it was worth the risk. Believe me there would be nothing cooler than to see a fish or coral that you found in your tank every day. It just wasn't worth risking the animals life for my possible enjoyment. So I apologize for the negativity, its more just frustration that I can't do the same thing.

LOL, I don't know how much diving you have been doing but capturing something in the ocean beside a blenny or lobster is no small feat. I can't tell you how many people I know that can't get a damsel OUT of their tank because they can't capture it. Also trying to go shore diving or snorkling around mangroves is like really really dangerous;that is mother natures version of a strainer which when the current holds you against the roots and won't let you out..... Also the mangroves are by the shore where there NOT very clear water because the floor is stired up easily, Not like when you are diving on a reef.

Leaving the difficulty and the danger aside if you do try this in Florida and get caught you will have a very hard time of it with the law. So that leaves you with going in your own boat (because no chartered boat will alow it) or diving from the shore. I only visited one place... a shore dive in Florida where it would have been possible and I would have throught about it and determined that catching something was going to be too hard.

So, I LOL because I would love to hear the account of your attempts if you do try it. I have spent countless hours catching lobsters... and they are slow. I think you will have a great time trying but would be shocked if you come back with anything but abalone.

Good luck!

water is only ankle to waist deep. i cought some pretty cool stuff there so its not like it can't be done. they hanging in the floating sea weed then i scoop that up. pretty easy, but thanks for the advace

also i'd capture them the last day to minimes stress. i've done this with fresh water fish before

flyingarmy;277742 wrote: I've heard cyanide works best.....take a sip before you go colleting also!

oooooooooooooooo... Mark's in rare form today!

Make that a cyanide double... on the rocks

When I was growing up my aunt had a beach house near Pensacola. The house was actually on a very large inland lagoon, not on the Gulf of Mexico, but it was still saltwater.

We used to collect critters by shaking the seaweed along the beach to see what would fall out. We often *caught* tiny seahorses, etc. and put them in a 10 gallon aquarium. They always died within an hour.

Knowing what I know now, I'm sure they died from lack of oxygen or, in the case of the ponies, probably lack of food. I'm sure seaweed is used for spawning sites and harbors young fry of all kinds. There's bound to be a food source in there for a young fry's high metabolism, too.

But that was the innocence of childhood and not the act of conscientious aquarists. I'd never do it now.

Back