Collin's 12long

Didn't really get too much time to chat on Saturday... Tank looks good man! I like the video - I'll make one of my tank soon.

thanks man!

Been battling red bugs on this Oregon tort acro..... could they be whats keeping it from coloring up? or is it possible weaker lighting? Whats odd is my Cali Tort is holding blue color fine.

Nitrate and Phos: 0
Alk: 8.2 dKh
Cal: 400ppm
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1099967=68975-IMG_2261.jpg
>
1099967=68975-IMG_2261.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_2261.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

New light shipped out today, got a teaser pic of it. Pumped!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1104972=69413-31879083190_ef820540a8_z.jpg
>
1104972=69413-31879083190_ef820540a8_z.jpg
class="gc-images" title="31879083190_ef820540a8_z.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

How's the acro's coming along?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So either the Cali or the Oregon (not sure which is which lol) has been coloring up somewhat nicely, but the other still look pale but glows green under blue lights and has good polyp extension... encrusted over the plug and onto the rock as well.

Starting to thinks its more lack of nutrients (been feeding reefchili twice a week). Going to be trying a new approach once the new light gets there.

New light - feeding acropower once a week, reef chili every other day at night, turning the skimmer off at night on the days I feed. Also removed my Chemipure Blue (it was 3 months old) but I still think it was pulling too much from the water.

I've been dosing Vibrant once a week, I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th dose now...it has done wonders for keeping the sand clear as well as tank glass.

All other corals are thriving, currently have some Magician palys going through a Umbrella phase...hoping they dont melt away. Might try some Vit C dosing and see if it will help.

I need to post some updated photos, but its busy season at work, so by the time I get home the moonlights are already dimming!

Sounds like like a nutrient thing for sure. Be careful with the vibrant dosing causing even more of a deficit. How you thought about nitrate dosing? In my opinion it's the most "clean" and straight forward way of bumping nitrates. Phosphate deficit is usually never an issue with regular feeding of fish happening but I'm glad to hear things are doing well otherwise

Yes, I have heard of nitrate dosing, and its something I have been considering. I am going to see how running no Chemipure for a month or two works out, and if I still cant' get nitrate up to about 2-5ppm, I might try dosing.

If I'm not mistaken chemipure works well with phosphate and silicate. Not sure if it helps much with nitrate reduction.

Currently dealing some umbrella like Magicians... anyone seen this before/know a cause? Parameters are all in check

Here's what they do now during daylights

647c2dec67eab41e02b5bcb04e6a64b0.jpg
alt="" />

This is what they look like once moonlight cuts on

ef0625c1a20703da7f3d723c847d6009.jpg
alt="" />

This was them a couple weeks ago

7a4859670724583c9ca0499680c03d83.jpg
alt="" />

Any ideas? Should do a coral dip just cause?

I found PE zoas do that from time to time. They should go back to normal before too long. I wouldn't be worried. Love me some magicians!

The magicians started looking pretty bad and melting away, did a peroxide dip on Sunday to see if it will save them. Started dosing vitamin C and have seen a positive response from other zoas and palys....fingers crossed the Magicians pull through.

Nanobox Quad arrived yesterday! Quick sneak peak pic below! Hoping to get more pics tonight if I get off work early enough. (hint: it is soooo sexy!)

0276ea1285c4fe7c869ee505a40db548.jpg
alt="" />

Video from the iPhone, threw the nanobox into the photo mode preset... No gel filters but the phone was picking up the light pretty well.

Gonna turn off the pumps, throw a lense and filter on later for some good night shots.

https://vimeo.com/199921381">https://vimeo.com/199921381</a>

[vimeo 199921381 w=640 h=361]
<p>[IMG]https://vimeo.com/199921381">xilez - Atlanta Reef Club(14084424)</a> from [IMG]https://vimeo.com/tapatalk">Tapatalk</a> on [IMG]https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.

Nice set up, looking great!

With the price tag of this hobby I highly recommend if you haven't already that you get QT set up ASAP.

IMHO
When Zoas start closing up one by one never to re open, my first thought is Nudi's. People say that Zoas will just melt for no reason. I've never had this happen and honeslty dont agree it's for NO reason.

Upon purchase of all corals my recommendation is remove it from the current plug, dip in Revive, dip again in an iodine dip, glue to new plug and put in QT for 7-10 days observation.

Many people that have pests don't realize they have them for weeks.

After setting up my 75 gallon I was purchasing from many LFS & members using above precautions. I never had a single pest in my DT.
To this day I sell coral with a pest free guarantee, it's worked for me.

Keep the pictures coming, thanks for sharing.

xilez;1105045 wrote: currently dealing some umbrella like magicians... Anyone seen this before/know a cause? Parameters are all in check

here's what they do now during daylights

647c2dec67eab41e02b5bcb04e6a64b0.jpg
alt="" />

this is what they look like once moonlight cuts on

ef0625c1a20703da7f3d723c847d6009.jpg
alt="" />

this was them a couple weeks ago

7a4859670724583c9ca0499680c03d83.jpg
alt="" />

any ideas? Should do a coral dip just cause?

imo- yes double dip as and follow instructions in previous post. Then put in a QT. I would not put those back in my display tank until they are 100% open and back to normal.
When they're all closed up at night if you use a flashlight to inspect them very carefully you might be able to see the pest, usually Zoa eating Nudi's, Google for picture ID.

Thanks for the posts! I agree, typically pests could cause issues. Most of my corals go through a pretty good dipping/inspection process before entering my tank, so I dont believe at QT is necessary (everyone views this differently). My tank is pest free except for one acro frag which has red bugs (ill be dipping that in Bayer in the coming days so problem should be solved there)

From my research, Magicians have had the highest probability of melting for people, whether they melt 2 or 3 times, melt the first time and thrive the second. Umbrella effect has been common for People Eater type palys and the substrains.

Peroxide will kill most things, wont kill the nudi eggs, but from my inspection I don't see any. I will throw this frag into the Bayer whenever I do the Acro as a precaution (which will be within the incubation period to get the eggs if they exist). But everything leads me to believe its not pest related.

Figured I was due for an update, I'll try to get some pics later.

Magicians appear to be recovering since the peroxide dip, they were shrunken and eventually all polyps closed for a bit after the dip and then one by one the polyps have reopened. (taken a few weeks). Still have 1 or 2 polyps closed, but the reopened ones look pretty good.

Back