Common cleaner wrasse

good point FR--so the cleaner wrasse's use (to remove parasites) can be replaced by the cleaner shrimp, though, right?

The biggest difference here is the fact that the fish must go to the shrimp in n order to becleaned. I have,in the past, introduced a Powder Blue and Powder Brown at the same time. They both icked up and the brown went to the shrimp to be cleaned and the Blue wouldn't. Needless to say, I still have the Brown and the Blue has went on to the great tank in the sky. The Wras is always out stalking the fish, thus bringing the cleaner to the fish that needs it. This is why the wrasses are a better bet, I still keep a cleaner shrimp in my tanks though. Cool shrimp that is not nocturnal and does a job all day long.

Yeah--I've gota couple cleaner shrimp; I just really liked the look of the cleaner wrasse-and thought the cleaning nature was even a more plus --especially at about 10-15 bucks! But, since I don't have a huge system loaded with tangs and angels, I guess I'll pass on the cleaner wrasse-oh well--it's better to find out now than 3 weeks after Ive got it and it dies on me-then I've not only wasted $$$, but also taken an apparently very needed fish from its habitat.

Bringing back old thread for a question-- would a good alternative to the cleaner wrasse be a neon goby?? It appears that they eat prepared foods as well as help clean parasites and dead scales off fish-?

I have two neon gobies (bad idea, they fight all the time) but they have been in the tank for about a year. They do clean the fish and they do take prepared foods and they are much better to use for that purpose then taking a cleaner wrasse from the natural reefs, IMHO.

I just picked up a 4 line cleaner wrasse from CBA. Its doing very well so far, started eating first day and is already picking at my sailfin thats got a bit of HLLE.

They have a bunch of em left too.

$30 for the 4 line ones at CBA. I like em all black with brigh blue stripes.

Be careful, I had a black one with the bright blue stripes and he nipped at my corals, he caused one of my favorites to die!

only thing he has picked at is the tang and mysis. Im not to worried about it, my tank gets fed 3 times a day, and is covered in pods so there is plenty to eat without nipping at corals.

Back